• advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt

Weight Gaining

dratix

Your Spidey sense was just about correct, but I'll let it go.

If you can't laugh at yourself, there's no point. No point in what, you might ask? there's just no point.

Many people seem to take Karate to get a Black Belt, rather than getting a Black Belt to learn Karate.

• advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt
  • Replies 27
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

So, what your saying is there has never in the history of powerlifting been a lifter without a bad back?

If you can't laugh at yourself, there's no point. No point in what, you might ask? there's just no point.

Many people seem to take Karate to get a Black Belt, rather than getting a Black Belt to learn Karate.

Big bump on what Lucky said.

If you wish to gain weight eat healthy and do bodyweight exercises. Pushups, pullups, chin ups, sit ups, and body weight squats. These, with a good diet, will help you out.

Just stay away from supplelments and heavy weights right now. I went through the same thing you did. You will bulk up eventually.

SiK---Joshua

There are no limits.

I am a regular user of callistenics, but why use them when you are trying to bulk up? It doesn't work that way. You need greater weight than that to gain mass.

At his age, lifting heavy *can* fuse the growth plates together. The main thing is, though, I doubt at his size he can lift heavy. Let him gain what mass he can from doing body weight exercises first. When he has plateaued from that, then hit the weights. At his size, calisthenics should bulk him up a good bit anyhow.

SiK---Joshua

There are no limits.

i wont.

You best had. Its easier in the long run.

By all means continue the discussion and put your points accross just do it in a civilised manner and try not to let it turn into a flame war they don't serve a purpose except to make all concerned look a bit daft.

:)

When I was your age I ate like a horse, had masses of energy, exercised plenty, was pretty fit, but still as skinny as anything. Even at the age of 21, I was 6'0 and weighed only 147 lb. I'm heavier now, but if you've got a fast metabolism, you just have to go with what life's given you. But if you eat well, take plenty of exercise, have plenty of energy and stay healthy, then you should be ok. Good luck trying out the suggestions.

"They can because they think they can." - School Motto.

(Shodan 11th Oct 08)

About the deadlift issue: deadlifts, squats, benching, etc. can all POSSIBLY cause long term injury. This can occur in several ways:

1) excess weight used can cause undue stress on joints and ligaments and cause arthritis in those joints prematurely.

2) improper form can cause serious muscular injury and chronic back problems.

3) Using the wrong exercise for your body style can also cause injury.

What does this mean? Of course, any exercise done with improper form can cause injury. But even if you use good form, lifting a serious amount of weight can mess you up too. Is there a happy medium? Sure! Do the squats and deadlifts using proper form, but use LIGHTER WEIGHT! It's that easy. Powerlifters operate in one rep max to 5 rep ranges. As a recreational/ health lifter, you need to operate in the 15-20 rep range with all those exercises (except maybe the bench, unless you have shoulder problems). If you are small boned or relatively lean, you are not built to be a powerlifter nor should you try to be by squatting 400 plus or deadlifting 800 plus. Simply loading a bar with 225 for 12 reps of squats or 275 for 10 deadlifts is sufficient and a awesome workout. Even powerlifters get injured, and have long term joint issues. Don't overdo it or push your body somewhere it's not meant to be. Some guys who are stocky can pull it off, since their musculature and bone structure makes deadlifting and explosive movements easier for them. But look at guys like basketball players. They do all the compound lifts like the powerlifters, but they use a large amount of reps with lighter weight. Their programs are tailored for their body type. Do the same, and you can do those exercises without detrimental effects. If you wanna gain mass fast, there is nothing better than a squat or deadlift. Go for it, stay within 12-15 reps for 3 sets, and USE LIGHT WEIGHT. Use PROPER FORM.

Mixed Martial Artist

Actually, I was reading somewhere, maybe it was hardgainer.com, but it said the 300/400/500 level can be reached even by ectomorphs. That means you can bench 300, squat 400, and deadlift 500. I am not an ectomorph, so I wouldn't know what they can or can't do. What does everyone think about that?