• advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt

Weight Gaining

dratix

Hi, i'm 15 years old, i'm about 5' 6" and I weigh 127 pounds. I am pretty skinny, and I want to gain weight. I dont want to get muscle mass just yet, I want to focus on getting on the heavier side, maybe 140-150 lbs. then I will focus on gaining muscle mass. I have a small stomach and a fast metabolism. (atleast it seams that way.)

I have two questions. First, I was looking into weight gaining powder. I dont know if these work or not and how well. If any of you have tried to use them, did they work? Which did you use?

Second, what food (specificaly) should I eat and drink to get heavier? And would it make a difference if I ate it before bed?

I would appreciate any help at all. Thanks!

"Give me back my sandals or i'm keeping your nephew's hamster..."- Bruce Lee

• advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt
  • Replies 27
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Maybe I'm old fashioned, but I think at your age you should let nature chose its course. You are growing so it's normal to be skinny and have that "unfinished" aspect, because your body is unfinished. I think you should focus od eating healthy and exercise so you help your body develop nicely. After 18 years old, we'll talk more about it :karate:

Maybe other members here would have another opinion and we are waiting for them to help us. My opinion is that it wouldn't be the right moment to "mess up" your body.

I don't understand why people are afraid of gaining muscle mass. You don't want to add fat do you? It's one or the other. Personally, I wouldn't go with weight gaining powder unless you're working out a LOT...that stuff turns into massive amounts of fat even IF you're working out. It's designed for people on a bulking phase of their workout. Eat 5-6 meals a day, and go with bigger portions...make sure its high calorie stuff, just low in fat (yes, it does exist).

Wolverine

1st Dan - Kalkinodo

"Shut up brain, or I'll stab you with a q-tip"

"There is no spoon."

Like Wolverine guy said, if you aren't putting on muscle it'll be fat. If you are a bit skinny then the fat could be good. Other than that eat well, eat lots and workout lots.

When I was 15, I was 5'8, 130 pounds. Now im 16, 5'10, and 150 pounds, thanks to working out properly. There is nothing wrong with gaining muscle mass, as long as you don't go overboard. And in case your wondering, I didn't get slower from the muscle, I got faster. Let me see If I can pull up my routine for you.

If you can't laugh at yourself, there's no point. No point in what, you might ask? there's just no point.

Many people seem to take Karate to get a Black Belt, rather than getting a Black Belt to learn Karate.

Here you go.

Monday

Bench press 8-12 reps 4 sets

Incline bench press 8-12 reps 2 sets

Dumbbell flys 8-12 reps 2 sets

Military press 8-12 reps 3 sets

“Nose crushers” 8-12 reps 2 sets

Wednesday

Deadlifts 8-12 reps 4 sets

Curls 8-12 reps 4 sets

Pullups 3 sets to failure

Good mornings 8-12 reps 2 sets

Upright rows 8-12 reps 2 sets

Friday

Squats 8-12 reps 4 sets

Leg curls 8-12 reps 2 sets

Jumping lunges 25 reps for sets

Calf raises 8-12 reps 4 sets

Leg extension 8-12 reps 2 sets

This routine will help you quickly add up mass. I took whey protein each day as my post workout meal, and I ate an egg or two every morning for more protein. Soy milk also has high quality protein and calcium.

If you can't laugh at yourself, there's no point. No point in what, you might ask? there's just no point.

Many people seem to take Karate to get a Black Belt, rather than getting a Black Belt to learn Karate.

Hi, i'm 15 years old, i'm about 5' 6" and I weigh 127 pounds. I am pretty skinny, and I want to gain weight. I dont want to get muscle mass just yet, I want to focus on getting on the heavier side, maybe 140-150 lbs. then I will focus on gaining muscle mass. I have a small stomach and a fast metabolism. (atleast it seams that way.)

I dont want to be critical, but by gaining fat you are in no way helping yourself. Fat will never turn into muscle mass, there are absolutely zero positive side effects to adding fat to your body.

If someone wants to gain weight, I would always recommend only gaining muscle mass.

I am a huge proponent for working with certified nutritionists.

I am usually very very hesitant in giving out advice due to the litigious nature of people these days.

Some basics you will want to know though.

Alot of times people will think they need to eat a ton of protein to gain weight.

the facts are that protein is needed to increase your muscle mass, but in and of itself it doesnt work that way. You need to be training your muscles for them to require the protein, also if you eat too much protein for your body to use it places a big stress on your kidneys.

a general rule of thumb i have used for myself is no more then 1 gram of protein for pound of lean body weight i weigh when i am working out regularly. If i am in a mass gaining phase i go for approx. 1 1/2 grams of protein for pound of lean body mass I am at, but i combine that with a very intense weight training program.

At your age, I would discourage any heavy weight lifting. I believe light lifting is good, and I would recommend alot of pushups, pullups, etc. The reasoning is that heavy lifting when you are in the age range of growth can stunt your growth and lead to some issues where your muscles actually inhibit you.

Just a little story for you about myself.

I started 9th grade at 5 foot 2 inches and 102 pounds. I was almost 15 years old.

I graduated 12th grade at 6 foot 2 inches and weighed 195 pounds.

I did zero weight training until i was a junior in high school and i had gone through the majority of my growth spurt, I didnt know much about weight training and the lifting i did do was not super heavy.

Most of my growth came from age 15-17. I think thats about right where you are at.

Eat smart, possibly have your parents set an appointment with your doctor so you can discuss it.

And good luck

muscle or fat, your choice. work out, and for gods sake find someone who really knows how and will teach you correctly (most people dont), and make sure your body is ready for it. forget what radok said, dont do deadlifts. ever. (same goes for good mornings). know what? just send me a private message if you want a routine that will actually do you more good than bad.

a broken arm throws no punches

If you do deadlifts CORRECTLY they are a core exercise that is valuable to adding mass.

Wolverine

1st Dan - Kalkinodo

"Shut up brain, or I'll stab you with a q-tip"

"There is no spoon."