• advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt

Sore hips...

BritNoob

I saw there was another 'sore after training' thread but I have a very specific problem.

I've only had about 6 lessons in Karate so my body is still very new and unaccustomed to the training. This week we concentrated on kicking (it was the first time that I've properly been shown how to do a range of kicks). We spent the entire session kicking.

I thoroughly enjoyed it but now a couple days later my hips are really sore. Especially the right one which i must have used to kick with more. It hurts all around the buttock area and is sore when crouching and putting weight on it. It's not painful as such, just tender.

Is this normal? Is there a muscle there or is it the joint itself which is probably playing me up? When i do the hip rotation warm-up exercise I can notice it too, it isn't a smooth motion at all.

I know it won't last long, and I probably just over did it a bit in training but I'd like to know if it's common when starting out.

• advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt

Soreness is common when getting to MA training. It could be something normal or a bit serious. You'll have to take care of it while going easier on the next training. Never go to hard, though we all forget this and do it. Hope you'll be OK. If you are indeed worried about it you could speak to a doctor. You'll know for sure what's all about.

You're going to be fine. You are using muscles that you are not used to working. Just make sure that you continue to warm up properly and stretch before and after your training. Good luck.

I had to lose my mind to come to my senses.

I would make sure u get a good massage or even a good warm bath sore muscles are fun. ya know ya worked hard....
Hmmm....a nice gluteal massage from a girlfriend would do the trick, eh? :brow: Hubba hubba!

Mixed Martial Artist

I dont kno if this is related to BritNoob's injury but when i move my right leg in a certain position, such as doin a side kick, i get a bad ache/pain in my hip,i was told to rest it, but its still rather bad.

Andy

Shukokai - White Belt

If your hips are sore after doing specific techniques, then get your sensei or a higher grade than you to watch you do them. If your hips hurt aftr side kicks (for example) then it may be the way you are doing them that is putting pressure & stress on the joint.

If you're kicking is fine and the pain is still there then I'd get it checked out by the doctor. Plenty of very hot baths can help sore muscles (as well as those massages ;)). Extract of Sage is reported to be good for aching muscles & joints.

I hope that it goes away soon, BritNoob & Random_Player.

"Was it really worth it? Only time and death may ever tell..." The Beautiful South - The Rose of My Cologne

Sheffield Steelers!