• advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt

Can *anyone* progress at Karate?

BritNoob

I'd also like to ask (while I have you all here :P): do you think once a wek is enough for the complete beginner? As I get better I plan to go twice weekly at least but for now is once adequate?

I'd say that 2-3 (or more) times a week is a good amount for the beginner. That way the body adapts faster to the training, skill level rises faster and you generally don't forget as much as with once a week -rate. I'd recommend 3 - that isn't too much. 2 is barely enough, but will do if there's no possibility for more. One just isn't enough.

Jussi Häkkinen

Okinawan Shorin-Ryu Seibukan Karate-Do (Kyan Chotoku lineage)

Turku

Finland

• advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt
  • Replies 24
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

My body couldn't take 3 times a week to begin with. I ache afterwards and my body needs time to rest. I push myself far harder suring the lessons than I ever have before.

BritNoob,

Welcome to the forums, as far as how often you should train each week, I would suggest at least 2 class sessions and 2 sessions at home. Regarding you question as to success in the martial arts, well just read my sig, Good luck on your journey!

A Black Belt is just a white belt that don't know when to quit!

My body couldn't take 3 times a week to begin with. I ache afterwards and my body needs time to rest. I push myself far harder suring the lessons than I ever have before.

That's great to hear. :)

However, I believe that you're underestimating your body a bit. It can take three times a week - of course, body is sore and achy between the classes, but complete rest doesn't actually help to that very well. Go to a karate class and train - you'll be surprised when the training actually helps with soreness, too. Try it for a week!

With 3 karate classes/week you'll still have a plenty of rest between them. I also recommend you to do some light physical activity - walking is great - between the classes. Remember to stretch after a class (2-3 hours after, do a light warmup and stretch) and in the next morning (again, light warmup and stretching). That should help you to avoid excessive soreness.

Jussi Häkkinen

Okinawan Shorin-Ryu Seibukan Karate-Do (Kyan Chotoku lineage)

Turku

Finland

The reason I ask is because I'm not generally a sporty guy, I don't usually like confrontation and I'm not a particulary competitive or confident person. I am eager to learn Karate but I feel out of place and often ask myself if I'm right for it.

Sounds to me like you're the PERFECT type of person to take marrtial arts.

Anyone CAN succeed in the martial arts if they are willing to make the CHOICE to do so. People quit all the time, not because they can't do it, but because they choose not to. Sometimes people just can't accept their own limitations, but martial arts is all about overcoming the limitations that can be overcome, and learning to accept the ones that cannot.

I'm a perfect example. When I started training I wasa shy, geeky, and extremely uncoordinated 10 year old. I hated sports with a passion, because I couldn't do any of them well, and no one would take the time to teach the kids who didn't excel. Martial Arts training was much different. 20 years later I'm still doing it, and now I'm teaching it to 32 of my own students, and getting awarded my "Master" rank in a few weeks...I always tell people that I'm living proof...if I can do this, anyone can, as long as they choose to.

lots o' good stuff said here. also keep in mind, no one said you had to become the unquestioned lord and master of the martial arts universe. if you try hard and only come out competent, that's fine, as long as you enjoy what you're doing. and i've yet to see a dedicated person come out after a year or so as just "acceptable".

"I hear you can kill 200 men and play a mean six string at the same time..."-Six String Samurai

You're sore because your body is responding to the new challanges and 3 times a week I thnk too, is a great thing. After 2-3 weeks you'll forget all about soreness. Keep on training on a regular basis and it won't happen too often :)

It's OK to watch the high ranked students. Just don't use this to ruin your day. Look relaxed and think you'll be there too in some time. I used to watch them and always feel I'm far from it. Still I wanted to get there. After some time I have others watch me from the place I used to stand on. I've got other "role models" and at the same time I am one for my fellow students who are beginners in the arts. It's about growing :karate:

So stick to your MA and train. Set some realistic goals and go for it

Definitely stay at it my friend. Let me tell you a bit about my experience with Karate. When I first joined I trained really hard in and out of the dojo. Because of this my first few gradings were passed fairly easily. But then I entered my first club tournament, and boy did I get an * walloping. I was not just physically injured, but I experienced a reality trip in terms of my limited knowledge and courage. Sufficit to say I was almost going to hang up my Gi when I decided that I was not going to give up like a lot of students do early in the piece, I was going to keep training and pushing through the barriers. Now I have just passed my Purple belt grading and I have a new determination to try even harder and just keep aiming for my goals.

Any way, the moral of the story is that a lot of students reach an impass at some stage early in their training. It is once you push through this doubt and self-judgment that you reach a more determined state and develop the courage, skills and drive to keep going. :karate:

The strongest principle in human growth lies in human choice (Alexander Chase).

Some great feedback here, thanks again.

I would go 3 times a week if I could, but my club only does beginners class once a week. When i am more experienced i will attend their other classes.

I do warm-ups every day of the week and the limited amount of stuff I have already learnt I try to practice.

What should I expect to achieve in the first year of training? How long should it take to get to yallow and then orange belt?

Also, someone made the point about club tournaments, the club I train with don't do it for competition. It's more for self-defence I guess.