• advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt

From TKD to Goju ryu

Topic

I have been trainign for almost 4 years in TKD and i want to take up a new style, im starting to train in Goju Ryu so far i love it but how hard is it going to be for me, i knw that they dont have alot of kick right and its mostly hand techniques, and what about the stances? Will it be hard for me to learn all of this.

• advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt

It will likely be a difficult transition. There's a lot of "habits" that will have to be relearned. Stances are a little different. Movement and sanchin will be the biggest differences. My suggestion is that you not assume you know anything when going to class. Pretend like you are a white belt with no experience and take everything for face value. You will learn faster this way.

The only two things that stand between an effective art and one that isn't are a tradition to draw knowledge from and the mind to practice it.

I would agree with Sauzin, don't forget what you learned in TKD but leave it in the dojang and start fresh in your new dojo. Pay close attention to sanchin kata it is crucial, get used to sanchin dachi and Shiko dachi (sumo stance). I did taekwondo for years and I had a rough time because I was trying change my TKD into goju which is quite impossible but stick to it, I did and am forever grateful

Kisshu fushin oni te hotoke kokoro

I agree I come from kickboxing and I'm doing also Tai chi, sanchin dachi and Sheiko dachi are strange at the beginning... you have to get used to it.

What are sanchin and dachi? are they forms form goju?
No they are stances, dachi means stance Sanchin Dachi and Seiko Dachi are stances that you find in the first group of katas you learn when you start Goju (i.e. Taikyoku katas)

I totally agree with the above, like a former sensei once told me

"When you start a new style, take your cup of knowledge from the old style and empty it into another cup, do not discard it, but put it on a shelf and keep it, then fill your empty cup with new knowledge."

One of the biggest mistakes I see with people who start a new style is they say "in my old style we did it this way" Not only is it disrespectful, but it impedes your learning. So, don't forget what you have learned but keep an open mind. The transition won't be easy because you might have unrealistic expectations about your ability in this art, don't worry about it, just enjoy the new direction your path has taken!

A Black Belt is just a white belt that don't know when to quit!

I totally agree with the above, like a former sensei once told me

"When you start a new style, take your cup of knowledge from the old style and empty it into another cup, do not discard it, but put it on a shelf and keep it, then fill your empty cup with new knowledge."

That's very good advice CloudDragon.

Good luck with your transition from Tkd to Goju, Topic! I hope you really enjoy training in your new style.

"Was it really worth it? Only time and death may ever tell..." The Beautiful South - The Rose of My Cologne

Sheffield Steelers!