• advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt

Training:How rough is too rough?

Do you prefer hard core or soft training?  

17 members have voted

1. 1. Do you prefer hard core or soft training?

• Hard core
    • soft training

hard training is in the eye of the beholder. There are alot of punck schools that really don't do much at all, but ultimately what a person views as hardcore will be based upon himself, as different people have different threshholds.

I train every day, for about 3 hours. that three hours is class time, and includes calesthenics, grappling, sparring ( i train in bjj, judo and muay thai), drilling, etc. It's 3am ( I don't sleep much) and I need to get a few z's and get up for work soon but if anyone is interested, I'll give more specifics of my schedule. This doesn't include gym time - I hit the gym eveyrday during my lunch break.

• advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt

Is there anybody else out there who finds this stuff quite intimidating?

"They can because they think they can." - School Motto.

(Shodan 11th Oct 08)

Hard training is always better. However my club as well as others are probably to scared to do stuff like that, because of younger members as well as insurance reasons.

BTW Fish which Wado Ryu class do you go to.

I agree that hard training is good, but let me be the first to admit that the workout you mentioned would leave me quite dead.

I wonder if new members could adapt to that kind of workout. It seems that you would need a ramp-up period. If a beginner tried that kind of workout, he/she would probably be injured.

Over time, though, I think it is reasonable to expect beginners to develop so that more advanced students can endure some of the training that you describe.

When I was in basic training at one of the US service academies some years ago, we did some pretty grueling physical training. Some kind of training was going on from 5:30 in the morning until 10:30 at night for two and a half months, and a lot of it was physical. On a typical day, we did hundreds of pushups, lots of running, situps, and so forth. Most of the guys and ladies that I was there with were very athletic (more so than me, surely), but I think even they would have balked at that kind of training. I do have to say though -- that training pushed me to my limit, and I'm a better person for it.

----

Hmm. Hello. This is the floor. How did I get here?

nope, i trained in ohio, i just currently live in japan because i work with the US military and i currently teach martial arts over here.....

yep i did my hard core training back in the states....with all the old school instructors, bill wallace, bill wall, and chuck norris to name a few of the higher blackbelts in my art forms

That which does not destroy me will only make me stronger

I think that training should be as hard as you can afford.

But then the problem is: how much can you afford?

People have different training time, ages, sexes, body build etc. There is not a fixed recipe for all.

What can be good for a strong 21 years old manual worker can be definitely not so good for a oversize 50 years old beginner.

So anybody should find their way to training which should be gradual, as intense as your health allows but not more.