• advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt

What are you working on at the moment?

aefibird

currently working of the fine points of the kata Seipei. as well as trying to understand the bunaki and finer points of the kata kosokun dai and Tomori chinto.

Ron Davis

Sandan (Motobu ha Shito ryu)

• advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt
  • Replies 60
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I am also trying to learn all the new curriculum for all the belt levels as my school has recently undergone a big change in ranking, curriculum, etc. Last year I spent 6 months learning a new system and then they go and change it on me...the nerve!! :lol: 8)

Heidi, that's disgraceful behaviour by your club - you oughta sue!! ;) :D :lol:

Seriously, though, why did they change the system? Do you think it has changed for the better?

"Was it really worth it? Only time and death may ever tell..." The Beautiful South - The Rose of My Cologne

Sheffield Steelers!

and since i'm a woman i'm training to put more strength in my moves.

I have been training with women for 20 years and had no idea they were supose to be weaker.

interesting.

I was referring mostly to "Kime"..... my instructor say i'm not that soft being a woman...but i feel i need to improve it anyway.

"With a bit of imagination, kata can be deadly." - Hidy Ochiai

[quote name="aefibird

Seriously' date=' though, why did they change the system? Do you think it has changed for the better?[/quote]

It' complicated but I'll try to answer simply: The system is primarily WTF TKD with Shaolin Kung Fu and Chi-na added. My Master Instructor has also studied Shotokan so there is a unique blend of hard styles that I really like(could it be cause I also studied Shotokan :brow: ? ). He has altered some techiniques to reflect this but always kept true to WTF ranking, etc. Anyway, on the urging of some of his students (right Laurie!) he brought more of the self-defense aspects down into the colored belt ranks and in doing so added an additional belt level. Also, the one-step sparring was changed to better reflect the skills of each new belt level.

I think the change is very good as it builds better on the skills of the students, gives students more exposure to Chi-na skills earlier, and sets his system more apart from other TKD schools. In other words, it's no longer WTF TKD and Kung Fu, it is TKD with Kung Fu. All of the tradition and ceremony remains unchanged from both styles which further sets it apart.

Hope that answers the question without being too wordy not that I have a tendancy to run on or anything... :P

8)

"A Black Belt is only the beginning."

Heidi-A student of the arts

Tae Kwon Do,Shotokan,Ju Jitsu,Modern Arnis

http://the100info.tumblr.com/

Being a newcomer I'm working at my first kata (Taikioku) and some kihon.