• advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt

Splits, how low can you go.

How low can you get down doing splits.  

36 members have voted

1. 1. How low can you get down doing splits.

• I got three feet to go to reach the floor
    • I can nearly go the way down
    • I can do half split (one leg split)
    • I can almost do full splits
    • I can do the full splits

I have to do the splits on my knees. It hurts my ankles too much to bend them the right way. I'm not quite split-worthy, even if I did them on my feet, but you know, I'm improving in flexibility. when doing the hurdler's stretch over my right leg, I can just about touch my heel, reaching over my toes. my left leg is getting there, but slowly.

• advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt
  • Replies 26
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I can do full box splits after a long training session, or when I'm feeling particularly flexible. As for the front splits, I can do them with my right leg in front but not my left leg. My left leg can't do anything! :roll:

"Weaseling out of things is what separates us from the animals . . . except the weasel."

- Homer J Simpson

Pretty close with the front splits (leg in front and other behind) - better on the left leg forward than the right though!

Miles away with the side splits - about a foot away from the floor :( working on it though!

Not a major problem though... I can kick comfortably in all direction with all kicks to head height but struggle holding them (showing off really) above chest height.

Andy.

Andy Wilkinson (Sandan)

Renketsu Karate Club Senior Instructor

(http://www.renketsu.org.uk)

Ah, that gives me hope!

If a Sandan has trouble holding head height kicks and is a 'million miles away' with the splits, then there's hope for me yet!!

:lol: :D

Thanks for being an encouragement, Renketsu!

"Was it really worth it? Only time and death may ever tell..." The Beautiful South - The Rose of My Cologne

Sheffield Steelers!

Hehe - this sandan is getting on a bit which doesnt help (28 - arghhh) :( I only started training at 17 too which means I wasnt too supple when I started!

Used to be able to do front splits but could never hold kicks high... now that I cant do the splits (following a hamstring pull and not stretching for a good while to recover) I can hold kicks higher (at chest level mostly or shoulder level on a good day!).

Makes me so jealous seeing pics of people holding head height (and higher) kicks... one day I will manage it :)

I kind of prove that kicking high (and being modest - rather well) is not directly related to static flexibility (splits and holding kicks) as commented by Kurz in his "Stretching Scientifically" book :)

Pics of me posing with the highest kicks I could hold on that day are here - gotta get better flexibility for the glamour pics :lol:

Andy.

Andy Wilkinson (Sandan)

Renketsu Karate Club Senior Instructor

(http://www.renketsu.org.uk)

• 4 weeks later...

Full splits, but even better, i can do a jump kick and land in a full split =) did it in my open forms, doncha know. once with the sai in my hand... my hand hit the floor and the handle dug into my skin... not fun. lol.

Dee C.

Normal ( 'nor-m&l)-

an adj. used by humans to stereotype

Side split about one feet away probably not even that much.

front split definitely more then a feet away.

Never actually tried the third way :(

But i'm only doing MA for three months so splits weren't a priority before, and still got plenty of time to improve :karate:

• 2 weeks later...
Over 40 and can do full side splits and lean forward and put my chin on the floor. Not bad for an old fart that has had MS for 25 years.

not bad for anyone. :o but i gotta go stretch now.... lol.

Dee C.

Normal ( 'nor-m&l)-

an adj. used by humans to stereotype