• advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt

Ankle weights.

will56

I recently found some heavy velcro ankle weights lying around the house and was wondering how best to use them. I was wondering if there would be any benefits to wearing said weights throughout the day (I do a lot of walking around), maybe on a day on day off routine. Could this help or hinder me in any way??

• advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt
It has been shown that wearing ankle weights can lead to shin splints. They could potentially create what is called "musclular efficiency" and this would slow down the gains you would see. If you use them for kicking be sure to take it slow and easy ther is a great risk of injury. Try using them to build up your outer hip strength by holding it out to the side.

"let those who shed blood with me be forever known as my brother."

I recently found some heavy velcro ankle weights...and was wondering how best to use them...

This forum can get very anti-ankle weight. Which is a shame because If used correctly they are perfectly safe.

ANKLE WEIGHTS ARE THE QUICKEST WAY TO DEVELOPE KICKING STRENGTH. getting ankle weights was the best thing I ever did and they cost next to nothing.

DO NOT...

1)...kick at full speed ever when wearing them

1/2 and 1/4 speed kicks are a great work out, even slower if you can and try and pause with the kick at it's maximum height and hold it there for half a second.

2) ...Lock out your kicks

I prefer to do my ankle weight work all with a straight leg anyway, concentrating on my hip flexor and hip aBductor muscles. moving my leg (straight) to the front foot vertical and (leg straight) out to the sides foot horizontal.

I would really not recommend ankle weights for ballistic exercises, the weight will generally cause injury due to hyper-extension. but slow motion controlled exercises are fine. Slow motion exercises are a real killer and can greatly improve your strength and coordination.

Look after your knees!!

I can hold my foot 12" above my head for over a minute wearing 4kg (~6lbs) of weight on each ankle. They are my favourite method of training and my best kept secret.

Bretty

Yes, is important to use them practing kick at low speed . I use them in my tai chi chuan practice.

Thanks for the replies. I had planned to use the weights to work on my kicks anyways but what I really wanted to know is if i would make any gains by wearing them during the day while doing normal activities. You see a couple of months ago I went from wearing runners during the day to wearing a pair of heavier (but much more comfortable) walking boots. I noticed then that when I went to traing in runners that my feet felt kinda lighter. So i was wondering if i would make bigger gains by adding more weight.

Thanks for the replies. I had planned to use the weights to work on my kicks anyways but what I really wanted to know is if i would make any gains by wearing them during the day while doing normal activities. You see a couple of months ago I went from wearing runners during the day to wearing a pair of heavier (but much more comfortable) walking boots. I noticed then that when I went to traing in runners that my feet felt kinda lighter. So i was wondering if i would make bigger gains by adding more weight.

Wearing weights all day long, will improve your strength (naturally). I've done this myself for about half a year now, but as "searcher" and other said, you'll get injured if you use too heavy weights. Basically if your daily job is to run around and be very active it'll be bad for you, but if you just go around doing nothing, you'll improve your strength and speed. It's like Bretty101 said: You can't move at full speed since that'll be bad for you

Never think that Karate is practiced only in The Dojo. The entire world is a Dojo, and true Karate training takes place twenty-four hours a day.

/Gichin Funakoshi Sensei