• advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt

White to black

How long does it takes in your school to get a black belt starting fron zero?  

57 members have voted

1. 1. How long does it takes in your school to get a black belt starting fron zero?

• less then 3 years
    • 3 to 4 years
    • 4 to 5 years
    • 5 to 6 years
    • more than 6 years

• advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt
  • Replies 32
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Any club if get a blacke belt on avergae 2 years or under is a disgrace.

I find this statment a bit harsh. I will be going for my black belt in 4 weeks and it has take me 18 months due to the fact i also was a 2nd dan in another style. I started back at white belt and i work hard to be where i am .

I train 4 times a week at my club plus 25hrs a week at home Training..

So your statment is a bit off key....

Learn and u shall Teach

Teach and you shall learn,

https://www.southpacifictkd.com.au

Indeed. I tested for Shodan in Shotokan after 12 months of training (I was nidan in Wado already) and will test for Shodan in Seibukan after about 18 months (with 23 years of total training time in Karate). I wore a white belt for the entire year befroe testing in Shotokan, and have been wearing a black belt while training in Seibukan. Different Dojo have different rules.

There have always been Starkadders at Cold Comfort Farm!

i agree with you guys, different dojos have different requirements based on past styles learned by the practitioner. It takes on average with most of the styles that i have taken in my long career an average of 5 yrs to reach black belt. Now my first style and the one that i hold dear and true to me took me many years to reach that level. My school was very strict and I have no problem with that, because i learned more that way and was better prepaired for the other styles that i later studied. Now i have also seen many styles in my time where a person completely new to the martial arts has gotten a black belt in less than a year and a half and many that average on 2 years, this is something that i personally don't agree with. Now there are exceptions, some schools you can reach the level of black belt in a year or two but you must train very rigorously. When i studied in korea i recieved a black belt in one year for a style but we trained everyday for several hours ...it was our life, so what i am getting back to ...my original point is that it all depends on the dojo and the instructor, some schools are good and teach fast, some are good and teach slower, some are bad and teach fast, and others are bad and teach slow..... it all depends on who you are training under.

That which does not destroy me will only make me stronger

I find this statment a bit harsh. I will be going for my black belt in 4 weeks and it has take me 18 months due to the fact i also was a 2nd dan in another style. I started back at white belt and i work hard to be where i am .

I train 4 times a week at my club plus 25hrs a week at home Training..

So your statment is a bit off key....

Ok what I meant is not only zero-belt (white belt) but also zero-experience.

I chose under 3 years but I think even when u get to Black belt theres so much to learn. Your still quite "naive" in the fighting world and theres so much experience and knowledge to gain.

I always beleive that u can no it all on paper but at the end of the day its the experience of putting that knowledge into practice (ie. Sparring) that makes u a good fighter.

"Nothing beats experience"

"When my enemy contracts I expand and when he expands I contract" - Bruce Lee

hmm, i don't think i have ever seen it put so concisely.

you have just made my day, mr calm.

post count is directly related to how much free time you have, not how intelligent you are.

"When you have to kill a man it costs nothing to be polite."

It took me over twelve years for my black belt in BJJ and that's training at least 3-4 times per week. Still, that's about average although nowadays people seem to be getting better, faster.

BJJ - Black Belt under John Will (Machado)

Shootfighting - 3rd Degree Black Belt

TKD - Black Belt

My dojo kenshukai karate took people about 5 years to past black belt.

A karate punch it is like a dasvasted stick blow. Instead, a blow of Kung Was is comparable to a lash with a chain that has attacked, allaltra extremity one ball of ferro