• Muscular

• advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt
  • Replies 94
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Same story here. I use to be terribly underweight. When I first started training I was close to 6'3'' and weighed close to 140lbs. Now I'm 6'4'' 173lbs and am feeling more confident of myself. The only problem is that the weight I've gained doesn't show really well and I still look pretty scronny.

"An enlightened man would offer a weary traveler a bed for the night, and invite him to share a civilized conversation over a bowl of... Cocoa Puffs."

Hm, since I've posted on this thread, I've dropped to 155 and grown an inch. I'm a Lot stronger than I used to be and my frame's become much larger (you know.. that buff kinda look :wink: ), so I don't understand how I could have lost so much weight since muscles is supposed to weigh more and I was skinny to begin with. Ah well, maybe I'm one of those people that think they look a lot better in the mirror than they really are :brow:

"If you're going through hell, keep going." - Sir Winston Churchill

• 3 weeks later...

6'0, 173 lb. Want to get down to 168. Big calves, hams, quads, scrawny arms (cross country running and cyling does that to you).

"They can because they think they can." - School Motto.

(Shodan 11th Oct 08)

I'm the skinniest guy you could ever imagine. I'm 6'1" and about 11st (not sure lbs?).

I've only just started Karate though (a few weeks only) and toughening and building myself up was one of the reasons I wanted to learn a martial art.

Athletic or muscular? which one do u reakon is the best build 4 a martial artist?

I'd imagine that an athletic build is better for the sporting aspect of martial arts, especially semi contact sparring, but muscular is probably better in a real fight. What do u guys think?

"When my enemy contracts I expand and when he expands I contract" - Bruce Lee

I am 6'3" and 225 pounds.

I put muscular, but it may just be athletic.

I fight full contact and no holds barred fights so i think that having the extra muscle mass is a benefit.

If i was doing forms, I would probably work on my speed a bit more and i think it would change my structure to a little less mass.

I dont think there is a perfect build for a martial artist...

I think there are atributes that different sized martial artists lean towards..

for example.. a smaller martial artist will most likely depend on more speed and technique then a larger martial artist who may depend more on power and accuracy.

that snot saying a large person cannot be fast and technical, and that a small person cant be powerful and accurate, just think that different sized martial artists tend to use what their obdy gives them the benefit of using