• advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt

Can anyone here do or are near to vertical sidekicks??? HELP

pcam16

Hi, Can anyone here do vertical sidekicks?

If so what exercises can i do to strengthen my legs for this? I'm already working on the splits so i just need some leg exercises that actually work. Please don't post if you're just taking a guess at stuff i should do! :)

Please visit http://philcampbellxma.co.uk and join our forum!

• advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt
Use a partner to lift your leg as high as they can in the side kick position as you can comfortably tolerate and then release, slowly. do this 2 or 3 times per training session and you should see results fairly quickly.

A Black Belt is just a white belt that don't know when to quit!

Main question is WHY????

Other than it looks cool, it's useless in combat. You should never attempt to kick higher than waist high. I had a Sensei once tell me that a kick to the head was a great fight-ender, but first you should bring your opponents head 3 feet from the ground!!

I got a vertical sidekick...

Very few people can actually do a vertical side kick to the 'side'. Most actually lean back and throw it more behind them like a back kick. This makes sense because your standing leg will be pointing behind you while your kicking foot is parrallel to the floor. To achieve this kick you need both flexible Hamstrings and hip aDductors.

If i keep my body upright I can side kick at about 160 degrees (180 being vertical). If i lean back I can kick completely vertical (180) on both legs.

The stretch you want to achieve is first the front to back splits. (If you've got a picture of someone doing a vertical kick turn it on it's side and you will see they are in a front to back split position). When in the front to back splits you'll have one foot (your front foot) pointing up to the ceiling and one flat on the floor. The foot flat to the floor is in your kicking position for a sidekick.

...the next bit...

You will see people who lean right back on this kick putting the stretch on the Hamstring on the standing leg. You can achieve this stretch in the front to back splits by leaning down towards your front foot (foot pointing up towards the ceiling)

If you want to be more upright in the kick you have to lean (backwads)towards your other foot.

So in summary to achieve the flixibility you want to be aiming for a front to back split. To achieve the strength I'd recommend... Ankle weights... :o :o Sorry no one likes ankle weights because doing fast motions hyperextends the joints So DON'T DO FAST MOVING EXCERCISES but do SLOW MOTION sidekicks with them on you will soon feel the exercise working and your legs getting stronger. Or you could just practice, practice, practice!!!

Hope that helps! Give it time!

Bretty

Good Points Betty101, I am close to holding full splits side kick. Unless u can do completly do a 180 % even 195% splits, and have the strength in your hip flexors plus active flexibility & the leg strength, Thats the ability to hold a stretch in a stretch position.

It will take you years to get this kick. Just work at the height that u can work at now, Good to have a great goal but if you cant even do the splits now you have years of hard work in front of you..

Learn and u shall Teach

Teach and you shall learn,

https://www.southpacifictkd.com.au

I'll tell u how, first go to china, join a shoalin temple, come back in about 10 years and tell us how far u've got...

"When my enemy contracts I expand and when he expands I contract" - Bruce Lee

• 2 weeks later...