Add KarateForums.com
Username:    Password:
Remember Me?    
   I Lost My Password!
 See a User Guidelines violation? Press on the post.

dennis63
White Belt
White Belt

Styles: Shotokan

PostPosted: Mon Mar 11, 2024 8:39 am    Post subject: Understanding how differently we think Reply with quote

When I first started to practice karate as a (relatively) young 18-year-old back in the 1980s, I attended some events with instructors who were much older Japanese men. I noticed that they said something I found unusual.

When I did a punch, a kick, or a kata, I thought of myself as "doing karate," and used the same verb as 'doing the dishes."

But my Japanese instructors used a different English word to describe the act of performing techniques. They used the word, "Making."

After my Intro to Japanese language course, I realized that the Japanese word is the same for "doing" and "making," and they were choosing to say "making" when they spoke English.

Like an artist making a sculpture, you are making a kick. You are making a kata, as if it is a physical thing that exists, however briefly. And because it exists only for that single moment -- maybe just an instant -- it is even more valuable.

Therefore, you are trying to make the most perfect, the most beautiful and exact technique you can.

This changed my perspective in practice then, as it does today.

Wastelander
KF Sensei
KF Sensei

Styles: Shorin-Ryu, Shuri-Ryu, Judo, KishimotoDi

PostPosted: Mon Mar 11, 2024 10:38 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

That is certainly an interesting way of looking at things. I haven't heard any of the Japanese or Okinawan instructors I've been involved with use "making" in place of "doing," but they tended to say the word "practice," more often than not. I do think there is something poetic about "making karate," though. Thanks for sharing!
Judo | 2007-2010: Gokyu | Sensei: Joe Walker (RIP), Ramon Rivera (RIP), Adrian Rivera
Illinois Practical Karate | International Neoclassical Karate Kobudo Society

DarthPenguin
Pre-Black Belt
Pre-Black Belt

Styles: Shotokan, Judo, BJJ

PostPosted: Mon Mar 11, 2024 10:40 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Yeah is an interesting take on things - reminds me of the idea of making it yours and it being 'your' karate. Seems to flow naturally from that, so you 'make' your interpretation of how to execute a Mae-Geri etc.

sensei8
KF Sensei
KF Sensei

Styles: Shindokan Saitou-ryu [Shuri-te/Okinawa-te based]

PostPosted: Mon Mar 11, 2024 3:17 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'm with all of you in this!! I love the "ownership" of it all. It doesn't exist until "I" create it at that very exacting moment. I too was raised to use "practice" than "make", and of course, I taught with "practice" more than "make"/"doing".

The beauty is there for sure!!

bushido_man96
KF Sensei
KF Sensei

Styles: Taekwondo, Combat Hapkido, Aikido, GRACIE, Police Krav Maga, SPEAR

PostPosted: Mon Mar 11, 2024 7:24 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

This is a great way to look at it, and just thinking of it that way can really have an impact on how one trains. Great thoughts for sure!
Post new topic   Reply to topic    KarateForums.com Forum Index -> Karate All times are GMT - 6 Hours
Page 1 of 1
Jump to: