Add KarateForums.com
Username:    Password:
Remember Me?    
   I Lost My Password!
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 27, 28, 29, 30  Next
 See a User Guidelines violation? Press on the post.

sensei8
KF Sensei
KF Sensei

Styles: Shindokan Saitou-ryu [Shuri-te/Okinawa-te based]

PostPosted: Sun Nov 12, 2023 8:22 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

bushido_man96 wrote:
sensei8 wrote:
I'm NOT a Rangers fan at all. I'm a pinstriped diehard Yankee fan and always will be. I cheered for the Rangers during the World Series because I wanted to see them win their first World Series.

I knew you weren't, Bob. I recalled that you were one of those darned Yankees.

ROFL ROFL ROFL

KarateKen
Green Belt
Green Belt

Styles: Karate

PostPosted: Mon Nov 13, 2023 2:39 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Remember the days when the football and baseball teams shared a stadium? You'd have football players running through the infield and looking like they stole second after every play. That was common 25 years ago but now they all have separate stadiums.

sensei8
KF Sensei
KF Sensei

PostPosted: Mon Nov 13, 2023 10:56 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

KarateKen wrote:
Remember the days when the football and baseball teams shared a stadium? You'd have football players running through the infield and looking like they stole second after every play. That was common 25 years ago but now they all have separate stadiums.

One of the best decisions for both brands. Served its purpose in those times and I did get a kick out of seeing both brands' field layout in a birds-eye view. It should me that one can put a square peg into a round peg, so to speak.

sensei8
KF Sensei
KF Sensei

PostPosted: Tue Dec 12, 2023 2:00 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Man, oh man I should've kept playing baseball beyond high school where I lettered at 3rd base. But no, I decided to teach the MA and own a MA suppky store for a living instead.

I was a switch hitter, and I threw right-handed while in high school. I started playing baseball in the Little League as long as I can remember. During baseball season, that's where I'd be for both practice and games, and not training at the dojo.

I said all of that to say this. $700 Million.

No, I wasn't a pitcher and yes, I was born some time ago where the salary way back in the late 70's, which would be about $122M, which would be just fine to me, wasn't anywhere close to $700 Million.

Shohei Ohani is the newest Dodgers SP that landed a record-breaking 10-year $700M contract. Apparently, Ohtani is clearly worth the money as he’s the best baseball player in the world.

Who's the $700 Million Dollar Pitcher?

Bats Left. Throws Right. He's a DH. He's a SP. He's 29 years old. He played on Japan from 2013-2017. Played for the Angels 2018-2023.

In Japan

Win–loss record 42–15
Earned run average 2.52
Strikeouts 624
Batting average .286
Home runs 48
Runs batted in 166

In MLB(Has only played for the Angels)

Win–loss record 38–19
Earned run average 3.01
Strikeouts 606
Batting average .274
Home runs 171
Runs batted in 437

The Angels didn't make it to the 2023 MLB Wild-Card or the subsequential Playoffs with a record of 73-89 for 4th place in the AL West.

The Dodgers fared much better on 2023 than the Angels. The Dodgers for 2023 had a record of 100-62 as the NL West Champions. During the playoffs, the Dodgers lost the Division Series to the Diamondbacks 3-0.

All of that money that the Dodgers forked out might've forgotten one undeniable fact...it takes a TEAM to win the World Series and not just 1 player no matter how good that 1 player is. However, perhaps Ohtani will be the necessary difference that the Dodgers need in 2024...maybe.

GO YANKEES!!

Patrick
KF Administrator

PostPosted: Tue Dec 12, 2023 3:22 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

The Ohtani signing has let to a lot of reading on contract deferrals, which has been pretty interesting. I am not 100% sure how I feel about it, but the Dodgers found a way to save some money on the contact.

I don't think he's worth almost twice what Judge is. He can only play 162 games, and the injury is a concern.

I'm hoping the Yankees sign Yamamoto. He's the guy I've wanted most this free agent period.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website AIM Address Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger

sensei8
KF Sensei
KF Sensei

PostPosted: Tue Dec 12, 2023 8:27 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Patrick wrote:
The Ohtani signing has let to a lot of reading on contract deferrals, which has been pretty interesting. I am not 100% sure how I feel about it, but the Dodgers found a way to save some money on the contact.

I don't think he's worth almost twice what Judge is. He can only play 162 games, and the injury is a concern.

I'm hoping the Yankees sign Yamamoto. He's the guy I've wanted most this free agent period.

Solid post!!

KarateKen
Green Belt
Green Belt

Styles: Karate

PostPosted: Tue Dec 12, 2023 10:23 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Patrick wrote:

I read the contract only pays 2 million a year for the first 9 years then in the 10th year he makes the rest of it, which I guess is 682 million. I'd be surprised if that was accurate.

sensei8
KF Sensei
KF Sensei

PostPosted: Wed Dec 13, 2023 10:52 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Ohtani will not be paid a straight $70M a year for 10 years. Ohtani agreed to defer all but $2M of his annual salary...$68M of his $70M per year...until after the completion of the contract. The deferred money is to be paid out without interest from 2034 to 2043.

The deferrals over $600M seems to be a norm in the MLB as a soft salary cap through the Luxury Tax (CBT) which helps the teams. Teams are fined hefty, from $20Mto $60M or more, if they exceed the salary cap threshold, which for 2024 is $237M.

Yes, the Dodgers will be happy to earn interest on some of the money Ohtani deferred, and he also helped them avoid the steeper CBT penalties moving forward. The deferrals were Ohtani's idea...not only is he a great player, he's also one smart cookie. Afterall, this isn't Ohtani's first rodeo in MLB.

If it was me, I guess I could learn to survive on a lousy $2M a year.

Patrick
KF Administrator

PostPosted: Fri Dec 15, 2023 10:14 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

https://www.mlbtraderumors.com/2023/12/dodgers-to-sign-shohei-ohtani.html

They'll still have a $46 million dollar luxury tax number each year. Basically, deferred money is discounted at a certain rate for the luxury tax calculation.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website AIM Address Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger

sensei8
KF Sensei
KF Sensei

PostPosted: Fri Dec 15, 2023 10:56 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Patrick wrote:
https://www.mlbtraderumors.com/2023/12/dodgers-to-sign-shohei-ohtani.html

They'll still have a $46 million dollar luxury tax number each year. Basically, deferred money is discounted at a certain rate for the luxury tax calculation.

Very informative article. Thank you, Patrick, for sharing it.

Post new topic   Reply to topic    KarateForums.com Forum Index -> General Chat All times are GMT - 6 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 27, 28, 29, 30  Next
Page 28 of 30
Jump to: