Add KarateForums.com
Username:    Password:
Remember Me?    
   I Lost My Password!
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next
 See a User Guidelines violation? Press on the post.

KarateKen
Green Belt
Green Belt

Styles: Karate

PostPosted: Fri Aug 11, 2023 4:35 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

It's been a stressful week but I'm good now. Excited about the weekend.

Patrick
KF Administrator

PostPosted: Tue Aug 15, 2023 1:41 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

KarateKen wrote:

Good to hear.

The 1-year-old's sleep hasn't sorted itself, but things are pretty good. My brother just booked a trip to come and visit next month, so that'll be fun, too.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website AIM Address Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger

KarateKen
Green Belt
Green Belt

PostPosted: Tue Sep 05, 2023 9:57 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Patrick wrote:
KarateKen wrote:

Good to hear.

The 1-year-old's sleep hasn't sorted itself, but things are pretty good. My brother just booked a trip to come and visit next month, so that'll be fun, too.

I hear it might take a while. Everyone I know with kids says that they never get a full night's sleep in the early years. Good luck, it sounds like nothing is easy about good parenting.

Patrick
KF Administrator

PostPosted: Thu Sep 07, 2023 10:27 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks KarateKen. We've seen some improvements over the last week, so we'll see!
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website AIM Address Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger

KarateKen
Green Belt
Green Belt

PostPosted: Tue Sep 12, 2023 11:23 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Anytime I get down I try to remember my blessings. There are lots of people out there who have it a lot worse.

Zaine
Black Belt
Black Belt

Styles: Matsumura-Seito, Shobayashi-Ryu, Shudokan, Long Fist, American Street Karate, Southern Mantis, HEMA

PostPosted: Wed Sep 13, 2023 3:58 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

KarateKen wrote:
Anytime I get down I try to remember my blessings. There are lots of people out there who have it a lot worse.
It's good to remember your blessings. That's something that I struggle with. I think that it's easy for us, as humans, to get so focused on what needs improvement that we forget to look back to see how far we've come. However, I think it's important to understand that, while there are people out there who have it worse, that does not invalidate our issues. You're allowed to focus on something bringing you down. I would advise against doing it so much that it becomes an anchor, which is something that I struggle with often, but it's okay to feel bad about a situation that you are in.

https://www.instagram.com/nordic_karate/

Patrick
KF Administrator

PostPosted: Thu Sep 14, 2023 9:53 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I do a similar thing. My life is great. Having 1-year-old has challenges, but we are healthy and able to take care of ourselves, so the rest is just about navigation.

But I guess to Zaine's point, too, I just try to take a moment, take a breath, and decide how best to tackle a particular moment or issue. Not always a quick fix.

KarateKen
Green Belt
Green Belt

PostPosted: Sat Oct 28, 2023 4:19 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Zaine wrote:
KarateKen wrote:
It's good to remember your blessings. That's something that I struggle with. I think that it's easy for us, as humans, to get so focused on what needs improvement that we forget to look back to see how far we've come. However, I think it's important to understand that, while there are people out there who have it worse, that does not invalidate our issues. You're allowed to focus on something bringing you down. I would advise against doing it so much that it becomes an anchor, which is something that I struggle with often, but it's okay to feel bad about a situation that you are in.

I often get in the most trouble when I overthink my problems because that is how I dwell on them and make them worse, often times worse than they actually are. But I am learning from my spiritual sensei, the master, Alan Watts, who said,

"By thoughts, I mean specifically, chatter in the skull. Perpetual and compulsive repetition of words, of reckoning and calculating. I’m not saying that thinking is bad. Like everything else, it’s useful in moderation. A good servant but a bad master. "

I now work to think in moderation. It's a new approach for me but so far it is helping.

To your point about how it does not invalidate our issues, I think that's important to understand.

bushido_man96
KF Sensei
KF Sensei

Styles: Taekwondo, Combat Hapkido, Aikido, GRACIE, Police Krav Maga, SPEAR

PostPosted: Sun Oct 29, 2023 1:43 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

That's a pretty good way to look at it. "Paralysis by Analysis" comes to mind.

I've been dealing with Meniere's acting up, and when it gets bad, I start to constantly worry that I'm going to have an episode kick off, and if it happens at work, that's bad news. I try not to dwell on it, but it's tough when the constant reminders are truly all in my head; in the form of tinnitus, dizziness, and pressure in my head. It's very frustrating.

KarateKen
Green Belt
Green Belt

PostPosted: Sun Oct 29, 2023 7:06 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Water heater broke and I have flooding, ruined carpet, black mold, and no hot water. Probably going to have to replace the carpet.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    KarateForums.com Forum Index -> General Chat All times are GMT - 6 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next
Page 2 of 4
Jump to: