Add KarateForums.com
Username:    Password:
Remember Me?    
   I Lost My Password!
Goto page 1, 2  Next
 See a User Guidelines violation? Press on the post.

Patrick
KF Administrator

PostPosted: Tue Dec 05, 2023 3:00 pm    Post subject: Great Arcades! Reply with quote

For my birthday, Kara recently took me to Morristown Game Vault in Morristown, New Jersey, and I'd say it's definitely in my top 5 arcades right now. Funspot in Laconia, NH is probably my favorite overall, with Flippers in Grandy, North Carolina as my favorite for pinball.

But there are so many gems around the country (and world, I'm sure). Most of the ones I love are in small(er) towns.

What are your favorite arcades? I'm really interested in ones that are open now, but feel free to reminisce about ones that existed in the past, too!
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website AIM Address Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger

KarateKen
Green Belt
Green Belt

Styles: Karate

PostPosted: Tue Dec 05, 2023 4:26 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

There is a fun one in Las Vegas called Pinball Hall of Fame that has a lot of the old school games such as Ninja Turtles and The Simpsons. Of course, it also has a lot of pinball machines. Other than that I have not visited an arcade that stuck out to me since I was a kid.

Zaine
Black Belt
Black Belt

Styles: Matsumura-Seito, Shobayashi-Ryu, Shudokan, Long Fist, American Street Karate, Southern Mantis, HEMA

PostPosted: Wed Dec 06, 2023 7:08 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Right now I've been spending some time at a chain down here called Free Play. There is a cover charge, but they have a punch of old school arcade games (that rotate, depending on popularity) and a bunch of pinball machines. There's also a bar and kitchen to buy some food. Another bonus is that after a certain time, I believe 7PM, it becomes adult only.

https://www.instagram.com/nordic_karate/

Patrick
KF Administrator

PostPosted: Sat Dec 09, 2023 9:58 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks for the replies, Ken and John!

I just looked at the game selections at both of these, and they are both awesome. Maybe I'll make it to them one day.

https://freeplayinc.com/dallas/games/
http://www.pinballmuseum.org/
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website AIM Address Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger

Fat Cobra
Green Belt
Green Belt

Styles: Ryukyu Kempo

PostPosted: Mon Dec 11, 2023 11:36 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Back in the 80s and 90s I used to go to Celebration Station in Baton Rouge, Louisiana, when I visited my Grandmother for the summer. That place was awesome!!!!

Right now there is an old school arcade in Old Forge, New York, at the Adirondack Pizzeria. That is an hour away from where I live and it is great, though it is only open in the warmer months.

Also, I have an original 1985 Karate Champ arcade game in my basement...fully functional and I play it every day!

Last edited by Fat Cobra on Thu Dec 14, 2023 11:13 am; edited 1 time in total

Patrick
KF Administrator

PostPosted: Tue Dec 12, 2023 3:18 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Very cool, Fat Cobra!

I was able to see some of the Adirondack Pizzeria arcade on their Facebook. Looks like a good selection of games. Thanks for sharing.

sensei8
KF Sensei
KF Sensei

Styles: Shindokan Saitou-ryu [Shuri-te/Okinawa-te based]

PostPosted: Tue Dec 12, 2023 8:21 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

My most favorite arcade is from way, way back...Shinobi!! I played it so many times as a teenager that I spent a small fortune of quarters to go from the start to the end. Eventually I was able to get so good at it that I could go from start to finish on one quarter.

Pac Man, Donkey Kong, Asteroids, Mortal Kombat, Dragons Lair, Pong, Street Fighter 2, and Missile Command are some of my most favorite that I was pretty good at.

KarateKen
Green Belt
Green Belt

PostPosted: Wed Feb 07, 2024 12:04 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

There is a great pizza place called Zorbaz, and when I was a kid (early to mid 90s), we went to the one just outside the small town of Perham, Minnesota. It was a true arcade back then. I visited there about five years ago and while it wasn't as big as before they still had a small arcade. Brought back a lot of memories for a place I would often go during the summer as a kid and play games like Ninja Turtles and Mortal Combat. I have no idea what it is like now, post COVID, but it was my favorite place to visit when I was young.

They also had one of those crane games or whatever, where you try and pick up the toy with that claw. I hated that game. I never won.

The only time I got anything was once after I lost, then an older lady won right after I played and gave me the toy. That was 30 years ago and I still remember it like it was yesterday. Well maybe not yesterday, but five days ago. OK, maybe eight years ago. Or nine. I don't know. I am going to stop rambling now.

KarateKen
Green Belt
Green Belt

PostPosted: Wed Feb 07, 2024 4:50 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'd like to add that up until about two years ago or less I still had the toy stored in the back of my closest. I hated to give it away because of the memory, but I donated it. Hopefully someone else is enjoying it right now.

Patrick
KF Administrator

PostPosted: Wed Feb 07, 2024 3:56 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Totally get what you mean, Ken. Also, I just looked up Zorbaz - looks fun. I see they are a regional chain in Minneapolis. Always interested to discover new regional chains when we travel.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    KarateForums.com Forum Index -> General Chat All times are GMT - 6 Hours
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2
Jump to: