• advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt

Newbie : unnecessary pain during practice,blocks, hits ...

goedikey

Hi,

I have been doing Shotokan for a few months (yellow belt) and we often have to practice one on one doing blocks and kicks etc...

Smetimes, my mate's blocks really hurt and I am scared of going any further. He litteraly knocks his bones to mine at 90 degrees which hurts like theres no tomorrow.

I tell him to try and ease but he cant do without !

This often happens with other members as well.

Wat to do ?

My sensei tells me that if I tense up my arms enough, my muscles will cover the bones, which is mostly true until I received a block to my ankle in the same fashion as above (massive, 90degreee with bone to bone).

Now my muscles wont cover my ankle !

I can also sense that eventualy, I will have to take blow to my chest and I dont know how I will deal with that...

Thanks foryour comments...

• advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt
  • Replies 22
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Some people can be real ba**ards when it comes to blocking, as you progress your technique will improve then it will be payback time.

The main thing to remember is that you are able to take a hit or a block and still survive. What doesn't kill you makes you strong.

My only advice is to keep focused and try not to think too much about how it’s going to hurt, mental and physical preparation for pain is one of the many rewarding lessons taught in the martial arts journey.

To paraphrase some B grade movie “Make pain your friend”, at least if it hurts you know you’re still alive. :D

John G Jarrett

III Dan, ITF Taekwon-Do

If you dont like it the only thing i can surgest is talk it over with your sensei or stop training. You can't expect not to be hit while taking part in something like karate.

What doesn't kill you makes you strong.

Getting hit by a car makes you stronger??? :P

You will probably find that as you progress through the grades two things will happen. Firstly you (and hopefully your mate ) will learn to block by deflecting the blow rather than crunching against it and you won't have as many clonking together type of blocks. Secondly your arms and legs will get more used to the impacts and won't bruise or hurt QUITE as much.

You shouldn't really be having to take full contact blows to the chest from someone as a kyu grade in Shotokan. An occasional accidental hard blow is one thing but not as a matter of course.

Ask your sensei if you can wear forearm/shin pads during class. You'll probably want to do some forearm/shin conditioning drills on your own, though...the pads will just keep you from getting bruised too much in the meantime. It takes a lot of work and self-discipline, but conditioned forearms/shins are an excellent asset to your training. After all...if you're out on the street, you can't exactly ask your attacker to hit you a little lighter. ;)

1st dan & Asst. Instructor TKD 2000-2003

No matter the tune...if you can rock it, rock it hard.

I only really know of a few but I'm sure other members who do Muay Thai and such can help you out even more.

For forearms:

Use the outside (pinky-finger side) of your left forearm to gently strike the inside (thumb side) of your right forearm. Keep striking like this, making sure to hit different parts of your right forearm each time. Also, use every area on your left forearm from your wrist to your elbow. Basically, just hit your forearms all over. Gently increase the power until your arms get a little numb. Switch sides and repeat.

Shins: (this is a scary one)

Find a wall corner that sticks out into the room...a doorway/hallway could work. Ever so gently, tap your shin on this corner. Increase the power if you can, but don't overdo it. Just like the forearm drill, you want to strike with different areas of your shin, ranging from the bottom of your knee to the top of your ankle. Stay away from the joints, you don't want to screw those up...just concentrate on the shin bone.

Does anyone else know of some good drills for forearm/shin strengthening?

1st dan & Asst. Instructor TKD 2000-2003

No matter the tune...if you can rock it, rock it hard.

This is why we, in Isshinryu, block using muscle to muscle; not bone to bone. Why try to condition your bones, when you can much easier condition your muscles?

https://www.isshin1.com

The patch or crest worn by Isshinryu karateka often raises admiration and curiosity. The patch is based on a day dream Tatsuo Shimabuku had in the fifties while he was creating his karate style. This dream was the missing piece in the puzzle called Isshinryu. The patch is often incorrectly called Mizu Gami, which means 'water goddess'. Originally the Isshinryu emblem was called 'Isshinryu No Megami', which means 'Goddess of Isshinryu'. The goddess is the Goddess of Isshinryu karate and not the goddess of water.

Thanks guys,

i am not sure about what I will do with this but I think I will tell my workmate to be careful

...ot too sure about the "getting used to" part but it seems interesting that I could become conditionned to this.

Thanks

If you use a twisting motion as you make contact with your blocking arm it will be less painful and the block will be just as effective. think of useing the motion of your arm more as a parry or deflection. When you are blocking a kick, use a glancing motin to move the kick aside if you take it directly it can be quite painful. :karate:

Pain is only temporary, the memory of that pain lasts a lifetime.