monkeygirl

• advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt
  • Replies 33
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Well, I went to the gym last night for the first time in a week or so (I've had a fairly nasty cold), and I'm very glad I did! I tried dumbbells again, and actually found myself enjoying them this time. I did some bicep curls and other such standing/sitting exercises. It's squats, lunges, and steps that I hate doing with freeweights :(

I did an upper body workout, and after extensively searching the gym, I found the Roman Chair (a.k.a "bendy thingy")! :)

Hopefully I'll be able to fix some of my back problems now.

1st dan & Asst. Instructor TKD 2000-2003

No matter the tune...if you can rock it, rock it hard.

So, you are enjoying lifting then, eh? Looks like we have another Kathy Smith on our hands! Monkeygirl in 10 years:

http://images.amazon.com/images/P/B00007JMD2.01.LZZZZZZZ.jpg

:D Welcome to the wonderful work of Iron.

Yeah, lower body free weigths are really hard on the body, and the mind. I can work my hardest on upperbody ,and onyl sweat a ltitle, but when I whip out the leg work out, I'm dripping! It is rough on you! They don't just wor kthe legs. Where as free weight work, like Bench presses and curls work the upper body, the Squat and deadlift use the whole body to work properly. Oh, it does suck! But still the best way to get strong legs.

Hopefully I'll be able to fix some of my back problems now.

Time out, back problem? Did I miss that post? What kind of Back problem? As in a spinal Problem?

yeah, i was a bit surprised by that too. cuz lifting dosen't exactly FIX a back problem as much as make it worse... unless by "back problem" you mean you just have weak back muscles, in which case more power to ya :)

"I hear you can kill 200 men and play a mean six string at the same time..."-Six String Samurai

yeah, i was a bit surprised by that too. cuz lifting dosen't exactly FIX a back problem as much as make it worse... unless by "back problem" you mean you just have weak back muscles, in which case more power to ya :)

ditto. Roman chairs is known to do damage to health backs sometimes. If her back is bad, she should consider SUPERLIGHT lower back work-outs to support her spine, nothing more, if even that.

Monkeygirl has scoliosis, I think.

If you can't laugh at yourself, there's no point. No point in what, you might ask? there's just no point.

Many people seem to take Karate to get a Black Belt, rather than getting a Black Belt to learn Karate.

Oops, sorry didn't mean to cause confusion.

I don't have any specific "problems", it's just that I consider my back to be fairly weak. I have a lot of flexibility due to the fact that my joints, ligaments, etc. are ALL naturally very loose, and don't have a lot of muscle holding them together. Because of this, certain joints (hips, shoulders, and apparently vertebrae too) give me problems...my hips used to grind painfully but I went to physical therapy and got rid of that. Now, the mentioned joints just seem to "fall" out of place slightly and have to be popped back in (like when you crack your knuckles), A LOT. I crack my back, neck, and pop my hips back into place several times a day. I can literally tilt my head to the side and my neck will pop.

So, I figured a back exercise might help me with that. The trainer at my old gym suggested the exercise to me, and my lower back felt much better.

I know, it's pretty nasty sounding. Sorry, I just have a screwed up body :lol:

1st dan & Asst. Instructor TKD 2000-2003

No matter the tune...if you can rock it, rock it hard.

nasty!?! that's awsome! i wish i could do that!!! that would be the ultimate intimidation factor before sparring! i can just see myself, standing quietly with my arms folded until it's my turn to jump in, where i slowly step forward and crack my neck! i so wish i could do that! :)

a good back exercise i do a lot is known as a pillar, in which you hold your feet together as you lay on the floor, as you would a push up. then, keeping your back straight, prop yourself on your elbows with your fore arms touching the ground, and hold your body there for as long as you can. we do it in cross country all the time for a strong core. the average is about 3 minutes, but i think the school record is 10 minutes, 14 seconds.

i dunno if i explained it well, but it's nice as it's fairly quick and you can do it anywhere.

"I hear you can kill 200 men and play a mean six string at the same time..."-Six String Samurai

lol, I was about to say, with scoliosis...

Glad that isn't the case. Yeah, putting some muscle mass on your should help. And going to a Chiropractor.

It is cool. unhealthy, but cool :D