Rick E.

• advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt
  • Replies 22
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Someone was impressed by your incredible technique ;)

Most people are still fascinated by the martial arts...those who practice at 3:30 am must be especially fascinating. Although it sounds pretty creepy for someone to be watching you at that early in the morning.

I don't think you really froze up, because an attack was not evident. The fact that you stopped what you were doing and started looking around shows that you became alert, focused and were assessing the situation. Nobody was running after you shouting "I'M GUNNA KILL YOO SUCKA!!!" so I'd say you did pretty well. :bigwink:

1st dan & Asst. Instructor TKD 2000-2003

No matter the tune...if you can rock it, rock it hard.

Why didn´t you just do the kata in your living room or something? And did you scream kya, too? Then I understand why the guy laughed. :)
Shukokai Karate, Orange belt ( 7. kyu)

That reminds me: I worked out on the heavy bag at my school's gym (I was working out with my mom, other than her I was alone), and mom said she heard someone say "cool".

I thought that was kind of weird.

Congratulations you just experienced flight or fight. The fear drove your adrenaline to a point that you were frozen. Now that you know what fear can do, you better start learing how to deal with it or you will freeze up an no amount of training in any art is going to save your butt. This doesn't make you weak, so don't misconstrude my message. This is a natural response that you need to learn how to deal with. Do you sparr in class? If not, you need to start.

MonkeyGirl, do you actually believe an attacker is going to give you forewarning? He froze, though he heard the person, he stopped to think, he did not react. Remember "Fear will cause hesitation and hesitation will cause your worst fear to come true". Anyone puttzing around 3 am in the morning is not usually out for a nice stroll. The best thing you did was get back inside, into a secured place. In the future, I would recommend 3 am kata training to be done inside the house.

It takes a big man to cry, but it takes an even bigger man to point at him and laugh

Over this past summer I have learned 3 kata after 4am. because I could not sleep. So more power to ya.

However I don't think I ever had any visitors watch me.

(General George S. Patton Jr.) "It's the unconquerable soul of man, and not the nature of the weapon he uses, that ensures victory."

Maybe these people live in the walls, or are just very small and go round saying heh and cool alot when the y see the big people doing smething. Then again most people would find someone doing kata at 3 in the morning slightly strange, and monkey has mentioned a few times that shes not the tallest person... so someone watching her battering a punch bag that could weigh more than her like it was nothing may just think it was cool.

More likely trolls in the walls though.

LOL GrrArrg!

MonkeyGirl, do you actually believe an attacker is going to give you forewarning?

No, I was exaggerating. I'm saying it's good that he became alert. There's a huge difference between hearing a suspicious noise, and seeing your attacker coming toward you. Relatively speaking, Rick E. did a good job of being alert. However, if an attack was imminent, standing there looking around would be pretty bad.

Unfortunately, adrenaline stress is something you can't really work on (effectively, anyway) in class. Sure, there's the adrenaline rush when you perform a kata all by yourself, but that's not really the same.

Although, what would it matter? Those little trolls are a bugger to hit. ;)

Unfortunately, adrenaline stress is something you can't really work on (effectively, anyway) in class.

I disagree. Class is exactly where you need to be working on it. Anything from sparring to free form self defense. If your instructor isn't teaching you this, you need to ask him to start teaching it. This is crucial in any situation. What good is all the martial art knowledge in the world if, at the time of need, your body freezes because it can't handle the stress?

It takes a big man to cry, but it takes an even bigger man to point at him and laugh