• advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt

Take a break

Sparky

Do any of you regularly take breaks from your training. If so, for how long and how often? Do you feel that it helps or hinders your progress?

Rachael

Kenpo - Red/Black Belt

Tae Kwon Do (long time ago)

If at first you don't succeed, try, try, and keep trying again.

• advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt

Define "regularly"?

Yeah, breaks are good, they keep you from burning out. Some pro's who LOT there choosen sport talk about forcing a break, let your body fully recover, tells you be lazy for a while. Vacations are good for the body as wel las the soul. It can be a handerance, if you do it to much. Don't take breaks to often.

Have you ever had a day when you just don't want to work out, and your dagging your feet in training? This is normal if you get it every once in a while, but if this lasts for 2 weeks or more in a row, you need to take a break. Half-assing it is going to get you anywhere! Better to just take a break for a week or 2, then come back full force. Better then forcing your self to do something you don't want to for a year, then leaving for good.

I had to take a break this past summer. I switched dojangs 6 months before, and my brain was fried trying to catch up. I took almost two weeks off to re-group. I did work on my own on some stuff, so I didn't totally stop training. It helped a lot.

I took time off a few times before that, but it was mostly injury related.

Laurie F

Heh. I'm coming back from a 4 year break now. I quit training when I went off to college. I went to our school's tkd club meetings a few times, but I wasn't overly impressed with them. Then, I just got busy with school and other activities. When I finally decided to get back into MA training, I wrecked my knee playing football. Now that my knee is mostly fixed and I'm out of school, I'm back to training. I don't plan on taking such an extended break again. I've actually forgotten a lot of my forms. I thought I would never be able to forget them after doing them for so long. (I started when I was 6.) It's funny. I can only do the first half of two dozen forms. I only remember two in entirety. It's especially sad, since I used to teach these forms to other kids. At least, my sparring rhythm is slowly coming back.

When I was training seriously, I would take breaks every once in a while for a week or so. Sometimes, I would just feel I needed a break. I think periodic breaks help get your focus back. Sometimes, you just get sick of training. Plus, your body can use the rest at times.

By regularly, I mean like once a month take a day you normally go to karate and doing something else. Something else can be as simple as staying home and relaxing or doing something that you just have a hard time doing with your schedule.

I train outside of karate as well, and I have a tendency to take two days a week off from that. Not sure how beneficial that is, but I don't want to burn out either.

My doctor wanted me to take a six week break from karate about two months after I fractured my rib. It apparently had went from a hairline to a displaced fracture.

Rachael

Kenpo - Red/Black Belt

Tae Kwon Do (long time ago)

If at first you don't succeed, try, try, and keep trying again.

I do sometimes. I just decide to take a day off, and do something else. It can be good to rest or put your mind to something else for a day or two. Then when you go back to training, you feel "refreshed." Ay least, I do, anyways.

Laurie F

Rachael- Once a month would be pushing it, that is a little to much. As for what the Doc said, talk to your sensei. Maybe take 2-3 weeks off, then spend the rest of the 6 weeks doing light training. No Sparring, not even light contact in a redman suit, and no heavy drilling either. Just do light drills and kata till it heals.