• advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt

Newbie Exercise Plan

Seraph

I've been out of shape for a long time and seriously desire to exercise and live healthier. Could anyone suggest a simple exercise routine or plan to follow? I know that it depends on the individual but there has to be something, right?

Thanks.

- Seraph

• advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt

Depends how out of shape you are.

If VERY is the answer, walking is a good start...

Currently: Kickboxing and variants.

Previously: Karate (Seido, Shotokan, Seidokan), Ju Jitsu, Judo, Aikido, Fencing.

• 2 weeks later...

Weights are good. Running is good. Stair climber is good. Martial arts are good. You could join an aerobics class at the gym. I used to make fun of cardio kickboxing, etc. but they're pretty good workouts.

If you're trying to lose weight, your diet is probably the most important thing.

ok, if you're pretty out of shape, don't even THINK about trying to run 2 miles! the most common beginner's injuries in running are caused by "too much too soon". running is something that takes time to develop.

try this. run for 1 minute, then walk for 2 minutes, then run for 1 minute, walk for 2 mins, etc... try that for 20 minutes total. that will give you 7 minutes of running time...

now when you run, don't haul *... just run fast enough where you don't get light headed, but not too fast. you should be able to carry on a conversation if someone is running with you, but it shouldn't be "easy"... at the same time you shouldn't be so out of breath that you can't talk or get dizzy and light headed.

do that every day for 2 weeks, then increase the time you run vs walk... maybe 2 minutes of each, and gradually get it where you are running more than walking, maybe 5 mins running to 1 walking. also , slowly increase the amount of time of your runs. eventually you will want to run for about 30 minutes; that's plenty of time to get the aerobic benefits of running without overtraining. running longer than 30 mins won't really give you 'extra' aerobic benefits and it won't really burn a whole lot more calories in the overall scheme of things.

you would also benefit by joining a gym (unless you know of a free one) and lifting weights. i would advise maybe 2 or 3 sessions with a personal trainer to develop a program you can follow.

diet is also important, as someone pointed out earlier. your personal trainer or a nutritionist could probably assist with these goals.

"It is not how much you know but how well you have mastered what you've learnt. When making an assessment of one's martial arts training one should measure the depth rather than the length".

- MASTER "General" D. Lacey

I've gone from 247 lbs to 198, and still have a ways to go, but I definitely know what its like to try to start an exercise program when you are out of shape.

For me, the important thing was to start slow, and increase the workload slowly but consistently. The key is to make excercise (and eating properly) a part of your daily routine, a habit. So I don't think its that important what, or how much you do in the beginning. The important thing is to do something, do it every day, and slowly build the length or intensity.

I started with aerobics videos, but I literally started with just a single minute, and then added a small amount of time every day. You could use the same principle with walking, bike riding, or whatever.

I wouldn't recommend running at first, because it can be hard on your joints if you are heavy, or are just in poor condition.

Again, the key is to set small goals, like adding as little as 10 seconds to your excercise that day, and sticking to those goals. Within a few weeks you'll be starting to do some meaningful exercise, and if you stick with it, you'll gradually work yourself into shape with a lower risk of overdoing it and injuring yourself.

Of course, nutrition is also important, especially if you're overweight. The exercise alone will help, but you can make even better progress if you slowly lose weight while you increase your excercise. Again, the key is starting with what you are able to do, and SLOWLY building from there.

Take a peek at The South Beach Diet (you can get the book on Amazon.com).

It's kind of like a 2-week atkins diet, then it lets you work just about everything back in, for a healthier lifestyle.

I only recommend it because it worked for me. Once I started working karate into my life, I was allowed to eat even more. The only difference in my diet now and my diet before I started (which was about 3 months ago), is that I avoid sugary stuff, and I don't eat white bread, white rice, or white potatoes.

For exercise, I'd just try walking for an hour. Doesn't have to be running or anything nuts, just walk away from your house for 30 minutes, turn around and walk back!

"A life is not important, except in the impact it has on other lives."

-- Jackie Robinson

"All that is necessary for the triumph of evil is that good men do nothing."

-- Edmund Burke