• advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt

Why is Shotokan so unpopular ? Can it be used in real life ?

goedikey

Hello,

I have been doing Shotokan Karate for 4 months now.

it is my first MA.

I am hoping that my teachings will allow me to be able to fight in a real life situation.

I read many posts about people why say it is not really good etc...compared to other styles.

I want to make sure I invest my energy at the right place !

Obviously, if this style will never allow me to seriously defend myself in real life, I may then be looking for other styles unless you tell me otherwise.

So what is your opinion ?

Thanks

• advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt
  • Replies 21
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Take what you read or hear with a grain of salt. It is just one persons personal opinion. With 4 months time in Shotokan, you've barely scratched the top of ur training. Shotokan in my opinion is not a bad style, in fact many styles out ther aren't bad, it 's perhaps the person studying it. Continue with your training and let it develop naturally. You'll only get out of it what you are willing to put in.

Di'DaDeeeee!!!

Mind of Mencia

I think one of the reasons it is so unpopular is that different kinds of mixed martial arts styles is becoming more popular. The opinion is that if you learn kicking/punching, throws and grappling at once, you'll learn to defend yourself in a shorter time. MMA also offers greater levels of contact which is a good thing in selfdefence. So if that is very important for you, you should try some kind of MMA or maybe traditional ju jutsu or Krav Maga, which offers a lot of defends against attacks in the street.

But another consideration is that you should choose a style that suits you and that you really like to do. If you really like to kick and punch, maybe a selfdefence orientated style that emphasizes grappling and throws will get a bit uninspiring in the long run...or the other way around. When I started with MA, I also put selfdefence high on my priority list. But now I do what I think is most fun to do, and for me it is Shotokan. Ouss!! :D

Thanks for your replies !!

I really like the discipline and workout from my classes but :

Does Shotokan have any street value at all ?

I mean, are all the drills and kata and exercies ever allow me to put up with some mean freak on the streets eventually ?

Not tomorrow, but eventually ?

I mean unpopular in this forum. From what I read, many people take some other style like JJ, Kempo etc...

My classes are always like : 15 min stretching, Kihon (intense), Kata and kumite (sometimes).

THere is a lot of focus on power, Kime, balance etc..

but I am wondering if the skills will have any real use...

Shotokan, along with Kyokushinkai, are 2 of the strongest Japanese karate styles. As far as being able to use its teachings for real SD, I think you could. Most street thugs don't know how to fight anyway. If you already have some knowledge or experience with street fighitng it won't hurt you at all. Conversely, if you have no knowledge of street fighting it will only make you a better fighter. It is missing a lot, though, as the intent of Shotokan was to take a deadly Okinawan fighting art and make it conducive to training and developing school-kids in Japan to be stronger, disciplined and more physically fit. Discipline, speed, awareness and strength will get you far. Later you can learn relaxed technique.

I train with many former Shotokan stylists and their kihon (basics) are very good. That is enough for most of us. Like any other style of karate, it won't make you a pro athlete level MMAs person. It is a solid and very external style. Linear attacks and physical resilience are its trademarks. Keep studying. As you go along you will notice positive transformations in your physique and character. When you reach first kyu or so then maybe you can think about comparing and contratsing it with other styles like Judo, GJJ, Muay Thai, Boxing or even its father styles Shorin and Goju.

Good luck, don't be discouraged, find the truth in yourself, and train hard and smart. Peace...

Traditional=Eternal

Nidan, Hakutsurukan

As far as being able to use its teachings for real SD, I think you could.

Hey thanks for your reply !

So what youre saying is that I probably will get by an average drunk.

I would have liked a more convincing answer as for taking up someone with some fighting experience...

You can probably get past a drunk now, but watch out, they can take hits. Anyway, I do Shorin ryu, which is similar to shotokan, and it has done alot for me. You will probably get a good grip on finding applications around your second year.

If you can't laugh at yourself, there's no point. No point in what, you might ask? there's just no point.

Many people seem to take Karate to get a Black Belt, rather than getting a Black Belt to learn Karate.