• advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt

Underweight??

Ironberg

@ Newbalance

There isn't a snowball's chance in hell that I'm going to stop my martial arts training for an entire month unless I become paralyzed by some drunk driver. I'm not losing the little muscle I've worked so hard for.

then i guess there is only one other option

EAT MORE

• advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt
I feel the same way. I just turned 16, am about 5'11 and only weigh about 125 lb. It looks really pathetic since I'm very scrawny and have very little muscle mass, even though I can bench about 95% of my body weight and curl about 60% of it. I eat all the time, and never gain any weight.

Strewth, you guys sound like a bunch of oldies talking in pounds and stones... LOL

I've had to find a conversion table...

Anyways..

I'm 6'0 and just under 200lbs. If you're still a teenager, just wait til you finish growing and your metabolism slows. I wouldn't worry too much about being underweight if you can still train hard. Generally being overweight will infringe on your ability to train, but as someone mentioned above, weight alone can be misleading - % of body fat would be a better calculation.

Keep Smiling!

thanks guys.

@ Neil - cool, I'll check it out as soon as I can get a computer at home to work (I'm writing from a school computer).

"An enlightened man would offer a weary traveler a bed for the night, and invite him to share a civilized conversation over a bowl of... Cocoa Puffs."

I'v already e-mailed the website to ask if Tom could add on his nutrition page about gaining weight, yet if anyone else wouldn't mind also sending an email to him if he could add on his nutrition page about gaining weight that would be great, since having a greater number of e-mails would show them that there is a greater demand for that.

To e-mail the site click on the website in my signiture, and then go onto supplementary training and there you will find the nutrition page with the authers name Tom Crudgington or something like that, then e-mail the website info@morrisnoholdsbarred.co.uk

thanks,

Neil

Neil wrote:

Eat plenty of fats. The body needs about 35% fat to function healthily, and you want to be getting a lot from oil fish and vegetable oils and adding them to your meals.

I have to disagree with this. Current goverment guidelines recommend

that adults should have a diet which is no more than thirty-five percent

fat. This is not a target figure; the body does not need this much. Most of

us are consuming far more than this. But the advice on oily fish is good.

Also, fat is very high in calories. You don't have to eat that much more to

get a lot more energy from your diet. Fat provides around eight or nine

calories per gram, much more than protein or carbohydrates.

Healthy eating doesn't change because you are naturally slim. The

proportion of fats to the other food groups is the same. Ironberg still

shouldn't be eating more than thirty-five percent fat. Remember that fat

doesn't just accumulate on the surface of the body, it is also stored around

the organs. Ironberg may have more fat than he realises--this is why

getting his body-fat measured is such a good idea. However, it sounds as

though he can afford to eat a bit more.

As others have already said, Ironberg, you are still growing and

developing. You may find you start to fill out a bit in the coming years. But

if you don't, it doesn't mean there's anything wrong with you. As Ben said,

it may be that you're inclined to be slim naturally. If you are eating

enough, and the correct foods, and you have plenty of energy and your

fat percentage isn't too low, then relax! Don't beat yourself up over

something you can't change.

Regards,

Bart the Lover

Actually government guidlines over healthy eating is actually getting people ill! The food pyramid of eating grains as are main source, is now being recognised by many knowledgable nutritionists as unhealthy and leading to disease. We have to eat what we where designed to eat as human beings. People are not fat because of fat, but from too much grains and starchy foods. The body needs fat, and quite a bit of it. Fats from vegetables, nuts and proteins, and not from fish and chips and fried food is what we need.

some people are just skinny and have a real problem gaining weight. you might try eating more calories a day, making sure its more than you actually burn so that your body has plenty of energy to grow muscle, while also eating about 1g of protein per lb you weigh. other than that, lift heavy, and see what your body can do. i wouldnt worry about health or strength too much though if i were you.

a broken arm throws no punches