• advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt

Vegetarianism and MA

karatekid1975

Hiya all.

I just want to know who else on here is vegetarian and does martial arts? Did you make the switch when (or during) you started training? How does it effect your training (if it does)?

I always pondered the idea for several years. A friend of mine and my instructor are vegetarians. My friend told me to try it for two weeks. I cut out just red meat for now. I did that for only two days, and I feel great. I'm not "bloated." And I feel like I can train for a week straight :)

Laurie F

• advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt
  • Replies 25
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

i dont know why youd be 'bloated' for any reason.... anyway, while it can be done id recommend against it- white meat especially is good for you. protein is what muscles are made of, and martial artists use muscles a lot. why make it harder on your body?

a broken arm throws no punches

Glad it works for you, but some of us need meat. Different bodies and metabolisms need different foods. A good resource to read is 'Eat Right For Your Type' by Peter J. d'Adamo.

Freedom isn't free!

Thuggish, I didn't cut out white meat and fish. I don't plan on it (except chicken ... I hate chicken anyway).

As far as the "bloated" thing goes, everytime I eat a meal, like steak and potatoes, I feel bloated. I had a nice salmon meal tonight, and I didn't get that full bloated feeling that I get with red meat, and I ate like a pig! LOL. There was no "uncomfortable feeling" afterwards. I didn't feel like I needed to sleep for a week after chowin' down. It was great.

Laurie F

I became vegetarian at 13, and started martial arts at 14 (I'm now 30). Personally I find the vegetarian diet great - BUT I take protein supplements (protein milk shakes) when I'm strength training, otherwise I find it too hard to build muscle.

Supplements aside, the following are good sources of protein:

Eggs (especially egg whites - keep yolks in moderation because of fat content)

Milk

Soft Cheeses, Cottage Cheese, Yoghurt

Beans, Lentils, Chick Peas

Nuts (in moderation: also quite fatty. Walnuts are rich in brain-helping Omega 3 Fatty Acids)

For the type of aerobic training you do in most martial arts, high-carb is more important than high-protein - especially if you work out more than 9-10 hours a week.

Currently: Kickboxing and variants.

Previously: Karate (Seido, Shotokan, Seidokan), Ju Jitsu, Judo, Aikido, Fencing.

Thanks for the info, iolair :) I don't workout more than 5 hours a week (mostly martial arts), so I don't need carbs LOL .... well to a point, that is). But I'm more worried about taking in enough calcium, than protein (I don't body build). I eat eggs, and cheese off and on. But I have a problem with dairy (lactose problem). How does vegetarians get around that?

Laurie F

karatekid1975:

If you're worried about calcium, you might like to consider including these

in your diet:

Spinach, broccoli and watercress;

Almonds and sesame seeds;

Figs;

Pulses such as peas, beans, chickpeas etc.

I was reading just the other day that apparently some tinned fish (salmon

and tuna were mentioned) contain more calcium than the fresh variety.

The canning process allows small bones to be eaten, instead of discarded.

You could try eating canned as well as fresh, if you don't already. Some

fruit juices are fortified with various vitamins and minerals--see if your

supermarket stocks them. Soya drinks contain calcium and protein.

iolair has given some great advice, but I think I would take issue with the

comment on eggs. It's true that the yolk contains most of the fat, but it

also contains alot of nutrients. I think the caution with eggs is really only

important for meat eaters, who generally are eating a diet higher in fat

than vegetarians. Also, nuts are high in fat, but there is some evidence

that not all of it is absorbed by the body.

Do you cook much? I really think that is the best way to make sure you

have a proper range of foods to meet your nutritional needs. Cookbooks

also have info on this kind of thing, too.

All this talk of food is making me hungry!

I hope my post has been helpful to you.

Regards,

Bart the Lover

Vegetarians eat no meat at all (yes chicken is considered a meat in the veggie world :) ) , some do not eat eggs but do eat dairy products. Pure vegetarians (vegans) eat absolutely no animal products whatseoever. I have been a vegetarian for many years, a vegan for 4...and my health has greatly improved since dropping dairy and eggs. Some lactose intolerant people actually have systemic intolerances (allergies) that cause not only bloating but joint swelling, headaches, etc. Protein is not a problem as long as you are educated and eat a balanced diet. Where do you think cows get all the protein and calcium they need to grow as big as they do and produce the milk they do.....grass and grains!!! Veggie diets are also high in omega 3 oils and other good fats which improves overall health and helps with flexibility, and complex carbs give you tremendous glycogen stores for those killer tests! Several veggie sites on the net have links to veggie athletic sites...even some vegan ones. Check them out...they have a lot of good info and support for those wanting to "try it out"!!!!

8)

"A Black Belt is only the beginning."

Heidi-A student of the arts

Tae Kwon Do,Shotokan,Ju Jitsu,Modern Arnis

http://the100info.tumblr.com/

Bart the Lover and ninjanurse, thanks. That's the kind of info I was looking for :)

Heidi, I don't eat any meat now, except eggs (that's not meat, but ......) and fish. I do stay with dairy (as much as I can handle, that is). I have learned that a vegetarian diet is very healthy, like you said. And my training has improved. I have more energy, it seems like. So I do agree with you :)

I thought it would be difficult to make the switch to a vegetarian, but it wasn't :) It seems so natural, eventhough it's only been a short time, so far.

Edited by karatekid1975

Laurie F