• advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt

Side Splits for Overweight People

tufrthanu

I'm also overweight (about 6'1 230 lbs, but the majority of it is muscle) and i find that the V possition works well as TKDlady suggested.

Also you could try using a rope or strap to help you stretch. lay on the ground flat on you back and put your feet together. loop a rope around the top of your toes and gently pull the rope keeping consistant pressure and making sure the rope doesn't slide off. this is a good stretch for the whole back of your legs

for the quadraceps try laying on you side and looping the rope around your ankle in back of you, now pull on the rope so your leg bends in back of you and the maintain consistant pressure. sort of like a sideways hurtlers stretch.

just another option to the many that where offered.

PS. i used to be 6' 240 lbs, then i stopped drinking soda completely. if you happen to be similairly aflicted with an addiction to fizzy drinks, this could be an excelant way to lose a few pounds esily.

If in your journey you encounter God, God will be cut

~Hatori Hanso (sonny chiba)

• advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt
  • Replies 21
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I see your point. I have overweight students but I've been fit all my life, weight never being a problem for me personally.

I have had only two students, (both ladies) whose weight was a great hindurance. One of them was 340 pounds. (and she is my age!) Her ankles and knees would not allow for any real movement. Her doctor ordered her to lose 100 pounds before he would recommend that she train in taekwondo. I urged her toward water aerobics but she found a few regimens(sp?) of her own to follow. Right now she still has 30 pounds to lose, but she is very determined and I'm sure I'll see her back in class early next year.

I want to thank you for your own perspective. I always try to put myself in any of my students places, and your statements help bring me back to the greatest art of all......listening!

"We are all more alike than we are different."

4th dan, WTF Kukkiwon certified

AAU Coach/Referee (oops, not National though!)

USTU Regional Referee (but I have stopped chasing the USTU around for a while)

"One of a kind" instructor...*g*

• 3 weeks later...
BTW, warrior, what does doing a side split have to do with realistic self defense anyway?

Doing side splits can help you to strecth your leg and when get injury you will heal quicker than a average people and like my dad do taekwondo he is able to do a sumersult and knock out an oponent by his kick my dad also do chair splits.

so...is it realistic enough for you...you want more explanation.....

I can teach you and guy you how to do it if you too

monkeygirl you're coololll :brow: :brow: :brow: :brow: :P :P :roll:

I am still training however, having dabbled in Shotokan and Shotokai Karate. I am please to report that Kenshukai is one of the strongest and most disciplined styles ( i did not write this)

"dad do taekwondo he is able to do a sumersult and knock out an oponent by his kick "

OH, i thought we were talking full side split. Wow, your Dad needs to go participate in the Ultimate Fighting Championship, he would rule!!

Peace, Love, Harmony

When I started training, I was about 95lbs overweight. Since then I have lost about 20-25lbs. My advice is to take it slow, it's very easy to hurt yourself trying to push it too hard. now I still have a way to go, but another bit of advice....don't ever quit because you are overweight. It seems alot of people here are dealing with the same issue and the only way to get rid of it is to keep going, we are all behind you :)

Also, the stretching does get easier as you lose weight. 4-5 years ago, I weighed 205, (mostly muscle, I worked out alot) and could jump kick a target 7-8 feet high and I am only 5'11 and now that I am losing the weight, it is getting alot easier(still cant hit that 8 foot mark, but I will get it eventually) so will you :D

Misfortune comes out of laziness.