• advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt

Side Splits for Overweight People

tufrthanu

I am about 90 pounds overweight. I have seen topics on this board regarding how to stretch and I have a few questions. First off in Thomas Kurz book he recommends trying to do a side split but pointing your toes forward and slowly sliding down to the ground. This will automatically stretch your legs and you can also try to pinch the ground to increase the tear of the muscles. I have been afraid to try this as I think I will slide all the way down and tear or dislocate something. So has anyone worked with an overweight person for stretching or is overweight themselves that can tell me if this is ok to do? And do you know of some other things I could try? Also I have found that being overweight my stomach can sometimes keep me from doing certain stretches, such as sitting on the floor and putting both legs out in front of you and bending over to touch your toes. If anyone has any other good stretches an overweight person can do let me know. Thanks.

Long Live the Fighters!

• advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt
  • Replies 21
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Also I have found that being overweight my stomach can sometimes keep me from doing certain stretches, such as sitting on the floor and putting both legs out in front of you and bending over to touch your toes.

Finally!!! I'm not the only one who has that problem :lol: .

Couple of ideas:

Use a wall. Sit on the floor, feet towards the wall, with your legs out in a V. Keep scooting closer to the wall, allowing the wall to push your legs wider.

Use a partner.

#1 Grab on to a bar, counter or back of a chair. Have your partner squat down. Get into a side kick position with your ankle resting on your partner's shoulder. Have them slowly rise until you are at your limit. Hold it for 20 seconds. Then squeeze down for 20 seconds like you are trying to push them to the floor. The relax at that height for 20 seconds. That is one. Then have them slowly go a little higher. You let them know where to stop. Repeat. Do this for 3-5 minutes.

#2 Sit on the floor facing your partner, both of your legs out in a V. Your partner will put their feet on the inside of your calves. They will grab your arms and pull you forward. Do this for 3-5 minutes.

If you do this 3-4 times a week, should improve a lot.

Buy a commercial stretcher. You can get a good one for about $200.00. The one I want is $299.00. This isn't cheap, but if you don't have someone who can stretch with you on a regular basis, it would be a wise investment.

1st Degree Black Belt

TaeKwonDo

All that is good but please dont be complacent with knowing how to stretch as an overweight person. The 90lbs over has got to come down a little. Are you running at all?

(no offense meant at all)

So recognize or be hospitalized

Cuz literally on a scale from one to ten I'm 25.

A couple of things. IMO, those stretching machines are not worth what they cost. I have been through several models with my students and not a one of them do anything that cannot be improvised for free,

While your stomach may indeed be an obstacle to sitting on the floor and touching you toes, I have many slim students who have the same problem.

In many cases, it is the lower back, and not the legs that are stiff. Try standing up with your feet a little more than shoulder width apart, (use a solid bar, doorjamb, chair,etc. if needed) and try keeping your knees straight as you grab your legs (or your pant legs) and slowly pull yourself downward, strecthing your lower back. If you still cannot get close to touching your toes then slow progress in leg stretching is surely required.

One method is to stretch only one leg at a time. Dance bars, (no not a tavern I mean a wooden railing) are good to focus more on one leg than another. Switch often and warm up first.

Another good way to stretch is usually in the kitchen. Many kitchen floors have two items making it easy (and safe) to stretch. Either tile or linoleum floors that are slick. (sometimes using small rugs that slide easy can be used if the floor is not slick). Then get up against the sink-counter where you can get a very good grip that will allow you to use your upper body to stabalize your lower. Put on a big fuzzy soft pair of socks, (not neseccary if using slick rugs) and carefully and gently (as you control your desent) ease yourself down and allow your feet to slide apart.

It is always best to do some warm up exercise and mild stretching before attempting to improve your stretch.

Also, it is generally easier to attempt front splits as opposed to side splits, although both should be employed.

I would like to point out though that it is not at all neseccary to be able to do the splits in order to kick to the head or higher. I never could do the splits but never had a problem kicking to the head and higher.

Weight reduction, should be the bigger goal, the splits can wait.....JMO

"We are all more alike than we are different."

4th dan, WTF Kukkiwon certified

AAU Coach/Referee (oops, not National though!)

USTU Regional Referee (but I have stopped chasing the USTU around for a while)

"One of a kind" instructor...*g*

SIDE SPLITS

once agin this strecth is designed for hip flexibility and is a great overall strecth. Slowly drop down with one leg out in front and one strecthed out behind. Remember: don't push too hard-let gravity take over. Once you fell able, try to making it it more difficult for yourself. bigin by making side splits and turn,turing the right foot out,rotate the chest and hips and strecth to the side. This then can be repeated on the other leg.

FLoor SPLITS

sit on the floor and then gently push your legs apart as it to make the spllits. keep your leg straight and don't bend the knees. When you have found a position that you feel comfortable with, take the chest down to the centre and try to place it on the floor, then repeat on the right leg, then the left.

(Don't worry if you can't get all the way down_most people can't_but work at it and you woll be surprise how much this strecth increase your flexibility. To help with this strecht, you can take hold of your ankles and pull yourself gently forward).

Sorry for my spellings I've only lerned English for 6 months.

I hope you read my message, bye now!!!!

I am still training however, having dabbled in Shotokan and Shotokai Karate. I am please to report that Kenshukai is one of the strongest and most disciplined styles ( i did not write this)

In many cases, it is the lower back, and not the legs that are stiff. Try standing up with your feet a little more than shoulder width apart, (use a solid bar, doorjamb, chair,etc. if needed) and try keeping your knees straight as you grab your legs (or your pant legs) and slowly pull yourself downward, strecthing your lower back. If you still cannot get close to touching your toes then slow progress in leg stretching is surely required.

Being overweight, I can tell you, it's not a matter of stiffness. It's a matter of fat. The fat is between your chest and your legs. With your legs together and straight in front of you, you feel no stretch. It's just squishing fat. The muscles are no where near their maximum flexibility. So, I have found stretches on the floor best done legs out in a V, for me :).

1st Degree Black Belt

TaeKwonDo