• advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt

Private Training?

Sho-ju

Whether or not it's a money grab is based on the individual situation. That said private lessons can be a great way to accelerate your learning experience. Smaller classes or private lessons can mean a greater focus on fine tuning the fundamentals under the watchful attention of the head instructor. Rather than watching a technique demonstrated and then going off to work the technique with an inexperienced uki you have the opportunity to see the correct execution of the technique repeatedly and practice having while having your execution and errors immediately critiqued and corrected.

"The longer I live the more convincing proofs I see of this truth, that God governs in the affairs of men. And if a sparrow cannot fall to the ground without His notice, is it probable that an empire can rise without His aid?" Benjamin Franklin

• advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt
My Sensei at the studio a lot, and my Assistant Sensei gets off at 5, and works out any time after that. No charge except for the monthly fee for the classes.

Private lessons are valuable to many students, especially those who are new to martial arts and are learning some of the more intricate styles. I have taken several myself and taught several. The best thing about private lessons is that you don't have to wait for the instructor to review your execution of a technique, or even worse, go home and practice something incorrectly thereby setting your training back.

A Black Belt is just a white belt that don't know when to quit!

I've always taken as many privates as possible and found them invaluable! You just can't learn in class what you can 1 on 1. But it may depend on the system and certainly on the level of the instructor. You'll learn more from someone with 20-30 years experience than one with 5. And I'm getting the idea from my brief time in the Forum that some styles are relatively simple and loosely structured while others are very old and complex. So I would say it depends on your exact situation.

I currently take one private every week in addition to classes. It is incredibly worthwhile and a bit of an honor, as our head Sensei doesn't realyy give privates anymore, so I will stick with them as long as I can.

Im fortunate enough to be training with my sensei three times a week with only 3 or 4 other students, for free aswell, no point to the post just bragging...:P

Honestly, I would say it depends on the cost, the level of instruction (ie amount of improvement over group training, and the individual recieving the training)