• advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt

Commercial Karate Schools .... Selling Out?

Sasori_Te

I think commercial schools could work in theory. i think GrrrArg is right. You need to have quality students, which also means that you need to be in an area large enough to provide enough quality students for you to survive. You have to recruit correctly too. I see a lot of the problem coming from the methods that the owners use to get potential students through the door. It's a bit of a vicious circle. Although the owner is ultimately responsible for the students that he chooses to teach. Money sometimes overrides better judgement. Valithor you also present an excellent point. Our society in general does tend to put money and financial success ahead of almost everything else.

A block is a strike is a lock is a throw.

• advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt
  • Replies 26
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Its basic human instict to find a way of being the top dog. For some this may be being the highest grade karate-ka in the world etc: but for most its being financially successful, it may be a pity but that doesn't mean its going to change anytime soon and even if it does we will just find another way of measuring success, perhaps we should go back to the old method of seing who can bash who on the head hardest?

That's the bottom line isn't it? Human nature is what's kept us going this long and I'm afraid it's going to be our undoing as well.

"Commercial ****** .... selling out?"

Couldn't the same be said for anything in a capitalist society? Our society encourages it!

Big business and making money sadly governs our society..

Capitalism is a good thing. The problem with Martial arts schools is in general that the consumer is not selective enough, nor does he demand good service. With capitalism, it's up to the consumer as to what businesses will be successful. If a karate school offers bad instruction and rates that are too high, the student won't leave, and won't speak up about it. They will just continue going to class, paying the dues and keeping their mouths shut.

If your favorite grocery store started offering bad service and exorborant prices then you would simply stop shopping there. They would be forced to lower their prices and improve their service or they'd go out of business.

Hello,

Personally, I don't believe in commerical Karate.

That's too bad. The likelihood that you will ever find a free karate school is slim. People have to make a living, and running a karate school costs money. Even in okinawa before 'commercial' karate schools were formed, an instructor often was compensated by the student doing work, donated goods such as rice, or sometimes the instructor would even shack up with the student.

Preachers work for free, karate instructors don't.

Hello,

Personally, I don't believe in commerical Karate.

That's too bad. The likelihood that you will ever find a free karate school is slim. People have to make a living, and running a karate school costs money. Even in okinawa before 'commercial' karate schools were formed, an instructor often was compensated by the student doing work, donated goods such as rice, or sometimes the instructor would even shack up with the student.

Preachers work for free, karate instructors don't.

Well put! A well-managed school should be able to support a successful junior/youth program, which in turn should be able to promote a strong adult program at the highest levels; being able to offer more classes, classes by rank, internationally known guest instructors, optional weapons classes and the like. As a matter of fact, it almosts makes sense that only a "commercial" school could really offer the best in Karate? Its great to make money, as long as its not all about the money, IMO

Shihan Fumio Demura is my idea of the perfect "commercial" school owner. He is extremely successful but he keeps the art first and foremost the most important thing. Passing along his style is what's important to him. This has reflected in every one of his students that I've come into contact with. They are usually excellent technicians, very very respectful and always willing to help out however they are able. Unfortunately, schools like his aren't the norm that I've experienced.