• advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt

Commercial Karate Schools .... Selling Out?

Sasori_Te

I was asked to write a post on this topic. I have several friends and acquaintences who have commercial schools. They sell EVERYTHING. Books, equipment, weapons, bags, patches, you name it. The prices for their classes are outrageous, $100.00 per month on average for a single class offering (they usually teach several different classes i.e.. weapons, sparring, kickboxing, karate aerobics etc...). The classes are usually large and are taught by senior students who don't have near the understanding of the style as the Owner. It's much easier to see this if you know the owner and have several years of training yourself. The training then becomes inferior. The owners know this and are usually regretful of it but, it's all about the money. The owners can't possibly teach enough of the classes themselves and still find time for a life afterwards. This is the way they make their living and the money unfortunately has to come first. You can't really blame them. All of the folks I know have families to feed. What I find odd is that this is generally acceptable in our money driven society. We pay for something and expect a certain return for our payment. The more we pay the more we expect for the money with a minimum of effort. This cycle drags the class down and eventually makes an art into a showy tournament style (I'm sure we've all seen these). This post was in responce to a request so I'm not sure what sort of replies I'll receive.

A block is a strike is a lock is a throw.

• advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt
  • Replies 26
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

It depends on the lifestyle they are living , type of cars , homes , vacations etc. to answer part of this. The proshop is a good idea if they are not raising the price to excessive amounts. Does the cost per month cover all classes are are there charges for each type of class.

The training is a simple one, If they know the level of knowledge is not at the level they would pay for then the are not as regretful as they say. If this is the only job the have then they need to get on the floor and teach more. They need to watch the classes and make sure the senior students are qaulified to teach. Teaching is not something everyone can do, I know fourth and fifth degree BB who can not teach at all, they can fight like a demon but can not teach.

So ask them flat out " Would you as a trained MA pay this price for yourself or one of you family to take this class, as taught by these instructors? The look on thier face will answer the question, I think the fact they asked you to do this already does.

"If you don't want to get hit while sparring , join the cardio class"

We charge $20 a month for 2 days a week.

$30 a grading up to brown belt, $50 for brown (which includes belts and framed plaque) $100 for black belt which pays for the costs of bringing in a sensei of high rank for another dojo.

That's the nitty, gritty.

Kempocos the main culprit that I'm speaking of certainly knows that he's putting out inferior material from his school. He teaches one or two classes but that's it. He's more interested in getting quality training for himself. I always requested training from him personally for which he normally charges $80.00 per hour (private rate). At the time I was unfortunate enough to be in his region for a style that I was learning and he was the only authority for nearly 1000 miles that provided grading. The Grandmaster said I should do it that way. Regardless, he had all of his instructors snowed as to what type of instructor he was by being an excellent student to them. They only saw that side of him. And let's face it. You just don't go to a Grandmaster and tell them that their favorite student is a money hungry schemer. I barely broached the subject and was handed my hat. Granted I'm not quite so involved with that organization any more.

We charge 60 a month for 3 days a week, 25 for all belt testing but black belt, which costs 100 (all of which include price for belts, papers, etc). And that just keeps the light on! And the Sensei as missed 3 classes in 15 years, and teaches all the time. My Sensei wouldn't dream of allowing the Senior students to teach without an expert to correct them unless he HAS to! I wouldn't pay 10 bucks to be Senior students punching bags, let alone 100! They didn't sell out, they bought in to the idea "If they are stupid enough to think we are a good school, why is that our problem" school of thought. The owners clearly only care about money, otherwise they would be there! You say ownerS, so I assume there is more then one, and you are telling me between them they can't make the classes!? If this is the way they make there living ,they should be there! Oh, I have to work tomorrow, it is a Friday night, I'm working till 10! I don't want to be there, but I have to. It may put a damper on my personal life, but I have to get money! People all over the world SHOW UP to work and still have time for a personal life, why should they be any different?

Sorry for the misunderstanding, but there's only one owner for that particular school. I was refering to 3 schools that I know of personally that are nearly identical in method. The instructor that I was speaking specifically about does have a specific extenuating circumstance that I won't go into out of respect for his privacy. But that in and of itself doesn't release him from his responsibiities to his students.

Glad to see you did start the thread Sasori_Te :)

Try and keep it civil please people as it has the potential to get closed if were not careful :)

I personally think that comercial schools can offer a high standard of teaching, they just have to get a good student base, with students who are in it for the training and not just to "buy" a black belt.

In fact, I believe that comercial schools, meaning a school that the instructor makes his/her living from COULD be some of the best in the world as the instructor will be able to devote the majority of his or her time to perfecting their understanding of their chosen art and then teaching it to the next generation of MA's.

What do you think?

In fact, I believe that comercial schools, meaning a school that the instructor makes his/her living from COULD be some of the best in the world as the instructor will be able to devote the majority of his or her time to perfecting their understanding of their chosen art and then teaching it to the next generation of MA's.

What do you think?

I agree from personal experince - many more classes, higher level of instruction, more structure/stability. Depending, of course, on the particular school/sensei :D

"Commercial ****** .... selling out?"

Couldn't the same be said for anything in a capitalist society? Our society encourages it!

Big business and making money sadly governs our society..

Keep Smiling!