• advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt

High sidekicks

The Red Guy

• advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt
It takes a lot of stretching and a lot of practice. Start by including a stretch for the front of the quad. You may have to do it on your own, many schools don't teach it. (Stand in a forebalance, and step forward with the front leg as far as it will go, if your left foot is forward, put your right hand on the ground to put weight on the quad.) Do that and practice kicks at home. If you also practice at home you will be much better in the long run than people who only train in the dojang.

So recognize or be hospitalized

Cuz literally on a scale from one to ten I'm 25.

It took me 2 and a half years to do a split from not being flexible at all. BUT I still can't get more than neck level (for a 5'8 person) with my side kicks. And it's been almost three years since I started martial arts.

Some people it takes a LONG time. Others, it doesn't take long, specially for a younger person.

Black Dragon has good advice :) Here's something that might also help: http://www.karateforums.com/viewtopic.php?t=6186 I'll move this to Health, so you will get more help on stretching :)

Laurie F

And how do I strengthen my leg muscles on the back leg, supporting the sidekick? After a certain level it seems that my leg trembles... When I try to stretch for a side split, how do I get rid of the piercing pain that occurs just below the hips, is that the pelvis?

Stretching is important, and in the end, will give you the best result. Another reason may be technique... I've noticed a lot of beginners believe a side kick is just raisng their leg to the side. First, let me say I dont have the best kicks either...and when i kick slowly, I could manage to get my foot around shoulder height. But when i kick full force i definately can push myself to head height.

Anyways, when side kicking you should first bring your kicking leg over in front of you, and then thrust outwards to perform the side kick. This adds a lot of force to the kick allowing your muscles to stretch a lil farther. Also in doing this...your body should be more kicking backwards rather than sideways. I find this a lot more comfortable..especially when you dont have lots of flexibility.

A lot of beginning mistakes and injuries are result of wrong technique. Technique also varies from teacher to teacher, so another suggestion for better kicking performance, would be to ask your instructor.

I love the side kick, specifically on my right leg. I can get mine about 3 inches above my head (i am 6'3") and it looks so amazing to warm-up before a fight with a couple of those suckers. The key to an awesome sidekick is the chamber (fold). You have to have strong side hip flexors in order to do it properly and the only practical way to strengthen the hip flexors and obliques responsible for the fold is to do slow kicks with the side kick....its really quite simple...practice doing the kick a lot, there's no way to get around it. Maybe you should invest some money into a pair of ankle weights and practice the kicks SLOWLY with those on. Your legs feel like feathers after wearing a pair of 10 lb. weights and doing just 10 kicks on each leg. My advice take it or leave it.

I can side kick well over my head. It takes practice. Lots of practice. It will not happen over night. Make sure your form is good or you will develop muscles for the kick improperly.

An exercise:

Stand next to a wall. Using the wall for support lift your leg into a sidekick. Using your freehand pull under your inner thigh and lift your leg as high as it will go. Hold 10 sec. Slowly lower leg and then repeat 2x's. Do for both legs.

"I am enough of an artist to draw freely upon my imagination.

Imagination is more important than knowledge.

Knowledge is limited. Imagination encircles the world." Einstein