• advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt

what do you think of mediocre blackbelts?

I say "who cares". Unless the mediocre black belt is from my school then it bears no reflection on me. I don't feel that they represent me just because they're in MA. I represent me. And I don't worry about how others perceive me. My self-esteem is not dependent on the approval of others. As such, I try not to judge others. I have no idea of the trials and tribulations they may have had to overcome to reach their accomplishments. I know that I've had knee-surgery on one knee, rehab on the other, rehabbed both shoulders and broken every finger on both hands at least once (some twice and one finger 3 times). So do you think I care if my high kick isn't as high as a 15 y.o's? Not a chance! Let me break his knee cap and see how high his kick is when he can walk again. I could find it easy to sit on a couch at home and use my injuries as an excuse, but I don't. I know I'll never be accused of having "beautiful" form, but it's better than it was but not as good as it will be.

Just remember the old saying, walk a mile in their moccasins.

• advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt
  • Replies 31
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I say "who cares". Unless the mediocre black belt is from my school then it bears no reflection on me. I don't feel that they represent me just because they're in MA. I represent me. And I don't worry about how others perceive me. My self-esteem is not dependent on the approval of others. As such, I try not to judge others. I have no idea of the trials and tribulations they may have had to overcome to reach their accomplishments. I know that I've had knee-surgery on one knee, rehab on the other, rehabbed both shoulders and broken every finger on both hands at least once (some twice and one finger 3 times). So do you think I care if my high kick isn't as high as a 15 y.o's? Not a chance! Let me break his knee cap and see how high his kick is when he can walk again. I could find it easy to sit on a couch at home and use my injuries as an excuse, but I don't. I know I'll never be accused of having "beautiful" form, but it's better than it was but not as good as it will be.

Just remember the old saying, walk a mile in their moccasins.

I believe we may have been cut from the same cloth..... :up:

My sentiments exactly :D

Pain is only temporary, the memory of that pain lasts a lifetime.

About my feelins about mediocre black belts:

there are a couple where I train, and I don't really look kindly to a black belt who sometimes graces us with their presence, then messes up doing the forms they are supposed to know. Its embarrassing to watch first and second degree black belts who dont know basic black belt form. Im only a yellow, but my mindset is that I am to take my forms seriously, and I do. Why don't these black belts? Do they not have to? Am I wrong for looking at it this way? It kind of makes me take their advice less seriously than the black belts who know what they are doing 100%.

What has to be addressed is how the "bad black belt got there in the First place", Nerves do play a large role in tournaments and students excel at different things. In our club our patterns are not tournament winning, however in Sparring our club always does well. A Black belt should represent the hard training and work that it took to achieve the belt. Everyone has different skills in the martial arts and it is hard to say that the reason for a black belt to look weak at sparing or in patterns is focus and determination. Maybe the black belt had an excellent showing in weapons or breaking events (hard to say, I wasn't there). It all starts in the intensity of training too...

"Pain is the best instructor, but no one wants to go to his class." Choi, Hong Hi ITF Founder

I totally agree with what was said earlier in this thread, look at the person who awarded the black belt. What is unfortunate about many "black belts" is this: They truly believe in their heart that they have earned the rank, when actually they were duped into paying loads of money for a piece of paper and a strip of cloth. This is what angers me about mediocre black belts, not that they wear them, but someone gave (sold) it to them.

A Black Belt is just a white belt that don't know when to quit!

A lot of TKD establishments test out every 2 months, and you pretty much pass no matter what. So I can definitely see where there are ineffective BB's out there.

BJJ - Blue Belt

TaeKwonDo - Brown Belt

Krav Maga

Kickboxing

But what is a Black Belt?

Doesn't it just represent someone who has learnt the basics in a particular style?

Why does it have to be assosiated with effective self-defence or some abitary ability to beat people up?

A master once said "You only start learning once you get to black-belt"

Keep Smiling!

A BB is indeed just another colour of belt but nearly everybody percieves it to be so much more, in the same way that a brown belt is nearly a black belt, nearly doesn't cut it.

"I nearly scored a point"

"I nearly bocked that punch"

"I nearly stopped myself getting stabbed"

Its the mediocre blacks belts who are really nearly black belts, they have the belt, now they just need the skills to go with it.

It is the expectation that is the thing here, if someone is a medicore black belt then it is a reflection on the school. I am not refering to people who cannot kick as high, or whose form is not "as beautiful", but those whose ability or more particularly their commitment does not match their tenure.

Keep an open mind