• advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt

what do you think of mediocre blackbelts?

Sometimes being a black belt has nothing to do with physical attributes, but of mental and spiritual attributes. Sometimes it has lots to do with the physical attributes. At the end of the day, so long as you know where you stand in terms of your own training, then that's what really matters. :nod: 8)

Di'DaDeeeee!!!

Mind of Mencia

• advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt
  • Replies 31
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

In many cases, a belt means almost nothing. Unfortunately, many dojos simply promote people to earn more money. And even more unfortunately, these mcdojos are everywhere.

Even in the straight dojos, often times the blackbelt tests are far too easy. In my two dojos, the difference is extremely obvious.

In the one dojo, where your cat stance is not low enough on one middle block in a kata, you are denied your BB even if the rest of your test is flawless.

Then you have the 2nd dojo, where if you put the wrong move into a kata, but make it look GOOD, they will still give you your BB.

For a BB test the 2nd dojo is stretching it reallly far, and as a result there are a good number of mediocre BBs. But everyone is going to be different, there are also a decent numbers of incredible BBs - it all depends on individual effort.

I can easily say, however, that some BBs dont deserve them, and especially the ones that flaunt their shodans-ho's, and even many shodans.

Oh, and take it easy on tournament fighters, they tend to be poor on average... As a white belt at my first tournament I took Grand Champion white through green in kumite. Admittedly I had a decent bit of MA experience before this lol, but its still not very impressive of them.

Patience is a grand- either you can learn it or I can make you learn it.

yesterday i went to a tournament and i saw a couple of really bad blackbelts. the first one i watched did his little karate form and it looked really bad his stances were poor he rushed it. his kais were a joke and he lacked any real intensity.

then i watched a couple black belts spar and they were just poor they didnt block but when they did they just stood there and kept movine back and not countering. i find this sad state were in today when blackbelt means nothing of course there are alot of good black belts but crappy blackbelts are nothing new these days. what are your thoughts and opinions on this?

What's good or bad comes merely from your own point of view and from your training experiences. You may suck compared to me. But then, I train 5 - 6 days a week, about 3 hours each session. However, I'm not gonna judge anyone and flat out say that they are bad. They may excel at teaching. Not everyone is a fighter or good at kata.

Another thing to keep in mind - those students were taught and promoted. The students are only doing what they know. If their teacher half taught them, or promoted them before they deserved it, then that is the teacher's fault, not the students'.

It is unfair to judge. There could be someone who trained for years and is older and not as flexible or as strong as a 20yr old. Its an individual accomplishment. Ive seen people grossly out of shape and uncoordinated

who could not even make it through the stretching and warm ups a couple of years ago. They are some of the best students in the dojo. I know they will make it to BB they made it this far on guts and determination. They are not as fast, as strong or graceful as most people but when they get there they have earned it and deserve the respect for their hard work.

To me this is what its all about. Im not big on rankings personally, I enjoy my training and just keep improving and learning.

Someone once told me.....

"A Belt only covers 2" of your A$$ the rest is up to you"

Ya know, he may have been right.......... :roll:

Pain is only temporary, the memory of that pain lasts a lifetime.