• advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt

Are you an uke? Why or why not

Are you the one that constantly gets there butt kicked by the master night after night or do you wish you were? what do you think the beneifits and disadvantages of being used to demonstrate the moves?

Im great you are not

• advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt
Everyone gets there turn with the master. We have an odd nubmer of people, so the odd man out will stand in front of the Sensei, and attack him in some way, and the sensei will respond. I like it, it is a good way to learn. As for demo's for the class and vistors, there are 4 guys ranked higher then me, and the Sensei will pick on them first... :D

i dont think there is something wrong about it... like pacificshore pointed out, u know it works. and it prepares u to get a blow or two. but its probably not fun to get ur "butt kicked night after night", though. it'll make u stronger :)

I was and wish I still was. You learn a lot that way. Also means a lot if your the one chosen to demo stuff on. I honestly don't know anythng bad about it.

(General George S. Patton Jr.) "It's the unconquerable soul of man, and not the nature of the weapon he uses, that ensures victory."

The main uke for the Grandmaster is a 5th Dan BB. On numerous occassions I've winced in empathy as I've watched him get tossed around by the Grandmaster. I've had a couple of opportunities to "enjoy" the experience. Quite educational :).

"The longer I live the more convincing proofs I see of this truth, that God governs in the affairs of men. And if a sparrow cannot fall to the ground without His notice, is it probable that an empire can rise without His aid?" Benjamin Franklin

I like it. It's even funnier when its one of my blackbelt friends. It's funny. Sensei will be like, "Anatoliy, come over here for a second."

Dee C.

Normal ( 'nor-m&l)-

an adj. used by humans to stereotype

I'am from time to time an "Uke".

But in the bigger regional events there is one sho-dan who always get self-defence moves demo-ed on him, regardless of if he happens to be wearing a groin guard at the time..

I do agree that it is a good learning process however and I take being used for demos as a compliment.

Me and one other fellow seems to be the uke most often in our class. And I love it, no better way to get a technique down then to have it applied to you. Makes for some sore wrist, elbows and shoulders for a couple days but well worth it. :lol:

"If your hand goes forth withhold your temper"

"If your temper goes forth withold your hand"

-Gichin Funakoshi