• advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt

Blackout

focus102

Were you affected by Blackout '03?

I had to walk nine miles to get home because the subways weren't working. It took me about five hours because of the crowds and traffic. I finally got home to a dark and very hot apartment that soon became even hotter from the candles we lit to avoid tripping over furniture and bumping into walls. Most of the food in my refrigerator went bad and I lost about a weeks worth of (expensive) lab experiments at work.

Isn't it nuts how we are so dependant on electricity?!

How were you affected?

"Nothing is impossible to the willing mind."

• advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt

I wondered when someone would bring that up. At least you got home in one piece.

I live in a building with an inferior hot water system. We spent three days last weekend without hot water.

We are all so dependent on electricity and hot water it is a bit scary without them.

I don't think it's bad being dependant on electricity.. I mean, it's so readily availible, (usually) it's like wondering why we are so dependant on the atmosphere for our oxygen. Sure there's alternative sources, but considering the extra expense.. I'd say it's worth the savings to have a blackout every few decades. That's my opinion anyway.

Paladin - A holy beat down in the name of God!

Someone probably plugged their lap top straight into the power plant to play doom 3 :) , or tripped and pulled a plug or something.

It does set a bad precedant that one problem could cause so much trouble however. Could give terror groupps some ideas, lets hope they find a way to proof the system against such incidents in the future.

I honestly didn't even know a blackout had happened until a day or two ago when it was mentioned on the news...I need to keep updated with current events!

Anyway, my area hasn't had any blackouts (other than from the recent storms we've had). Hopefully that's the way it will stay.

1st dan & Asst. Instructor TKD 2000-2003

No matter the tune...if you can rock it, rock it hard.

BTW, a little off topic Monkey Girl is retired???? I have clothes older than you what happened??? (If you dont mind me asking?)

Pain is only temporary, the memory of that pain lasts a lifetime.

Our fence posts were being put in when the power went out. The guys didn't come back to today to finish (they need power to mix the cement).

Also, my office has been closed ever since.

The journey of a thousand miles begins with one step.

-Lao-Tse