• advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt

What is The Most Common Misconception about your style?

"Jui Jitsu has been getting pretty popular with the UFC getting to popular but people don’t understand Jui Jitsu take TIME to learn!"

It especially takes time to learn and effectively apply the soft aspects of the art and controlling techniques.

"The longer I live the more convincing proofs I see of this truth, that God governs in the affairs of men. And if a sparrow cannot fall to the ground without His notice, is it probable that an empire can rise without His aid?" Benjamin Franklin

• advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt
  • Replies 29
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

GKR karate is my style so people have the missconcieved notion that all of us who work for the club are out to make money, aren't proper karate-ka and that we don't mind being "the perenial whipping boys" (a quote from a non GKR member of the forums) of all other styles and people with grudges to bear.

I have the same problem, with what another person posted, my art is American Kenpo (developed by Ed Parker). Anyway, everytime I say that some fool will think it's some macho WWF bullcrap. So I've just started calling it Kenpo, and if they ask for what style, I say 'The Ed Parker System'.

"If you're going through hell, keep going." - Sir Winston Churchill

judo/bjj/shuai chiao - that grapplers can't strike

muay thai - that because it's a sport art it's less deadly than non-sport styles (CMA guys tend to be really bad about that one)

longfist - that CMA is all flash and no fighting.

Uhm...From what I've seen, esp. from programs on tv such as "Top Ten Martial Arts" which aired on TLC described Goju Ryu as a style in which you practically beat yourself to a pulp to strengthen your body and that's mostly what Goju dojos focus on. On the contrary, we strenghten our bodies but not by killing ourselves doing a certain exercise and strengthening isn't the only thing we do in class x.x..Anyone else get this feeling sometimes? *shrugs*

"Freedom discovers man the moment he loses concern over what impression he is making or about to make."

-Bruce Lee

Kendo- people think it's all "samurai jack" and anime stuff. only the masters can use bizzare techniques like that. the basicas are extremely analog

Parker Kenpo- "not a real art" because it's american

Sayoc Kali- ive heard at least 2 people in my life time say its "all flash and not at all practical" this is the most utterly moronic misconception ive ever heard. it's probably the most effective knife fightning art there is. fights are over in under 10 seconds and the loser has a paeirced heart, slit throat and his akilese tendons severed

Budo Taijitsu- aparently it's comonly confused with ninjitsu. it's similair, but not the same. we dont train in masks and Tabi boots, we don't learn how to assisnate people and sneak around in the dark.

If in your journey you encounter God, God will be cut

~Hatori Hanso (sonny chiba)