• advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt

I got horribly misjudged at a tournament -_-

:kaioken: My kungfu club got invited to a mixed martial arts competition. And it was mostly karate. Okay first of all when I went into my kungfu form i was the only one doing a kungfu patern I did it excellently i think it was my best runthrough for my form yet powerful deep stances fast intense. Everyone else did the usual karate stuff. Now at the scoring part this is where it all got screwed up i got high 7.867 scores from every judge except one wich gave me a 7 even. all the scores seemed to be in the 7's at this rank.

His reasoning you wanna know what he said to me! it loooks great but this is a karate competition not kungfu :bawling: thats not right.... we were invited we wernt the only kungfu club their i know it sounds like im being a baby but i guess this is what its like at tournaments.

Now secondly sparring me and my club was doing very very well at the sparring but alot of the points that we should have gotten we diddnt because of our kungfu esque blocks they didnt know how to call it! it was claerly clean technique we got robbed :o

Now ok I admit i had alot of fun and learned alot :) but next time get some judges that know how to judge chinese paterns !

ps im not whineing and i did not forget the martial ways :karate:

Im great you are not

• advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt
a lot of tournaments are like that. it's just hard for some judges to be fair about other styles than what they are used to. i know it isn't fair to the people who did awesome and didn't score high. that part sucks, but the experience is good.

Tae Kwon Do

15-years old

purple--belt

ps im not whineing and i did not forget the martial ways :karate:

Could of fooled me. The purpose of the judges is to make the decisions and regulate. By going to the tournament you are recognizing that those people have been assigned those responsibilities.

I would suggest you look at your sparring and forms and see if you are really as good as you think you are.

Thats not Mixed Martial Arts... well ok in a sense it is but not what is usually meant by MMA.

Anyway, welcome to the world of open tournaments. Thats the way it is. The goal is to convince the judges to give you the most points. Doesn't matter how many you think you got, or how many they think they got. What matters is your ability to convince the judges to give you points.

Andrew Green

http://innovativema.ca - All the top martial arts news!

Man, sounds like you got shafted. Maybe you should get like a orange belt, just so you know the Basics of Karate, so you can go back next year and make them eat it. Or, just stick to Kung Fu events. That just isn't right. I guess it would have been best for you to learn a little about Japanese Arts, but still, if they invite Chinese Artist to the event, they should shown some courtesy!

That's a shame. When I did TSD and attended tournies, there were kungfu guys competing. A few of them actually got first place. And this wasn't a kungfu tourny. It was mostly Tang Soo Do (but it was an open tourny). It sounds like you got stiffed :(

Laurie F

This is why we don't do tournaments and we discourage our students from doing them. One event like this can ruin a young kids self esteem and all he has worked for. If a judge doesn't like your haircut your out. The rules often favor a certain style or even to that point certain groups and if you don't have the rules in advance you can't train appropriately. Edited by pvwingchun

Wing Chun Kuen Alliance

https://www.wing-chun.us

Don't let things like this get you down, "you gotta live and learn" as they say. In this case I suppose that the lesson would be that judges aren't really bestowed with demi-god like powers of judgement. :)

It is possible that your form wasn't as great as you thought... at least not in the judges eyes. My old longfist school cleans up at karate tourneys - in both forms and point sparring.

well the thing is we usually do clean up the karateka at the tournies but this yearthe judging was exponetionally diffrent

Im great you are not