• advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt

Does flexibility cause loss of power?

btroadman

Thanks for all the info, I just want to make sure that we are talking about "the rule, and not the exception" with everyones comments. I am speaking on terms of the average JOE with my original question.

BJJ - Blue Belt

TaeKwonDo - Brown Belt

Krav Maga

Kickboxing

• advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt

You can defiantly have both, and in fact if you’re kicking high then you need better flexibility in order to get that power at the top end.

When you reach the maximum range in your flexibility … as in the upper range of your kick … your stretch reflex slows the leg down. This is a natural instinct that keeps you from over stretching and injuring yourself. Of course with this comes a loss of power and speed. If you have done any high kicks for a while, I’m sure this has happened to you.

By increasing your flexibility and re-training your stretch reflex, you can approach the upper limits of your kick for instance, without any of the natural slow down or loss of power.

At the same token, it is possible to over-stretch yourself, which weakens the joint and can make you unstable. Therefore, if you want max flexibility its best to train for strength as well as flexibly in the same joint. Keep in mind that the range of motion in a very high, lets say 180 straight kick, is well within the operating parameters of your joints.

Wrestling, Tai Chi, Judo, Isshinryu, Tang Soo Do

after 35 years I haven't mastered a single one.

You can have both! Tain hard and you'll get there, for added strenght try some weights. :)

"Pain is the best instructor, but no one wants to go to his class." Choi, Hong Hi ITF Founder

I read an article about this in one of those muscle magazines that are filled with little bits of information amongst loads of crap. It said that in one study the participants who had stretched a certain muscle using a static stretch did undergo a loss of power when lifting a given amount of weight. However, the ones who stretched dynamically had an increase in power over those who had not stretched at all. It all depends on how you stretch. For TKD I find that I feel better when I stretch using basic kicks and leg swings in the beginning of class and save the static stretching til the end to help increase my flexibility for the next time. THe best time to stretch for flexibility is after your workout is over. Your muscles are warm and there is little risk of pulling a muscle, also you can focus 100% of your efforts on stretching rather than worrying whether or not a certain stretch will hinder your efforts in class.

I would have to concur with the general concensus. Flexibility does not cause a loss of power. However, if you stretch for a long time your muscles will be tired immediately afterwards and you might not be able to perform as you would like. This is a temporary effect. The more flexible you are the greater potential for power you have. I wouldn't go so far as to say being flexible equals power; I believe it opens the doors to power.

"I am enough of an artist to draw freely upon my imagination.

Imagination is more important than knowledge.

Knowledge is limited. Imagination encircles the world." Einstein

In the overall picture, no being flexible does not cause loss of power. However, stretching immediately before using your muscles before something requiring alot of power can diminish you power slightly.

If you are naturally flexible, it's generally because you don't have a lot of muscle to constrict movement. With proper training though, you should be able to have the best of both worlds: flexibility and strength.

I'll move this to the Health, Training and Fitness forum, where people more educated on these matters than myself can help you :)

Sometimes things CAN just be left alone.......