• advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt

Please Help a Karate Mom!

karatemom11725681445

WHipping kids with branches little or small (or indeed anything) should not be tolerated - simple as.

Bustr, Sens55, you both bring up valid points.

Master Art Monroe, if he has been training for 30 yrs could have a legitimate 7th dan using ht e years rule but something just doesn't ring true about the way the club presents itself.

• advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt
  • Replies 44
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

All I know is if someone whipped my kids with a switch, they'd better have a damn good lawyer, and depending on the severity, a bulletproof vest.

In texas, I think the bulletproof vest would be number one :wink:

"I believe you feel kids should master themselves before they attempt to master the art. But do you believe that maybe the art may be the key to teaching them to master themselves?"

I believe that you must not have read my post. I said that I like to keep the class moving quickly. I wouldn't expect children to hold a horse for a half hour or even 5 minutes. When I teach they are constantly moving. They can ask questions after class. However, I'm constantly correcting their moves and making sure they understand so questions are few. If they're not moving then I'm constantly talking repeating what I've told them and reminding them that although I'm flooding them with info I don't expect them to remember everything and I'm only flooding because of their superior performance and understanding. So basically positive reinforcement, a fast pace and repetitive instructions are my strategy. The students I teach may not have birthday parties in their pajamas but they have clean powerful techniques which might actually work when it counts and they actually have the discipline and tenacity that these babysitting services like to use as selling points.

You are right about the legal part and I accept your admonition there. This org generally likes to settle things with lawsuits because it's the only way they can win at anything.

BTW Let's not blow this out of proportion. The guy using the switch was using it to correct their stances like some of the teachers in the 1980s Hong Kong cinema. It may not be really physically abusive (although a lawyer might prove it was) but it is degrading to the kids and reflects the teachers insecurity. I guess riding herd over kids reinforces already huge egos. And of course huge egos are the result of soft training. The right training gives confidence balanced with an awarness of one's own real (not percieved) limitations. And the student of such training has no need to belittle or hurt children.