• advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt

so, before you and your friends started this, what training did any of you have?

post count is directly related to how much free time you have, not how intelligent you are.

"When you have to kill a man it costs nothing to be polite."

• advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt
  • Replies 147
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Your "Research" proves nothing except that the people you "learned" that from don't know either. Unless your source professes to be, or to personally know someone who was alive over a thousand ago when the word was used, I'd highly question the authenticity of their knowledge on the matter.

Further I'd highly question the relevance of the "historical use" of the word. I suppose some people must smoke a lot of sticks.. surely it can't be a cigarette when it's called a "*," which originally was used to refer to a bundle of sticks. Heck, come to think of it, this site shouldn't end in ".com" because that originally was used to denote commercial sites. It should be ".edu." While we're at it, I don't think the term "coke" should be used to refer to cola, because it was originally used to refer to cocaine.

The point being:

A) You can't prove the origin of a word any more than any other living person can.

But you just proved the origins of all these words, and wit hthe expection of the .com/.edu, there is no one alive during the consption of these thigns for you to talk to. You don't know anyone who called a digarette a "fogget" back then, you have never see or drank a Cola with Cocaine in it, and you never meet someone who was, but you can't prove these things. The only way is to look thing it up and assume the historian who did the research, the man who has spent his whole life studying this, know more about this word them a 16-year-old brawler.

B) Even if you could, it would be irrelevant. I could call my stove a freezer, it wouldn't stop it from cooking my food. I doubt it would hear your pleas of "but that's not what the word freezer was meant to refer to!"

C) No matter how much you bash the name of the art that I practice, it's not going to make me say "Gee, I never realized that some guy on the internet who I'll never meet disagrees with me. I guess I should just throw out thousands of dollars of assault weapons and tactical gear. I have seen the light! MMA is so real! I should just drop everything and devote my entire life to MMA, as that must be far more effective than something based around realistic circumstances. Never mind the ability to disarm and use weapons, they never have weapons in MMA anyway. I should also never practice eye gouging, biting, or fighting with steel toed combat boots, since I'll never use those things in MMA. I can just rely on my MMA experience to protect me from people toting knives, handguns, and compact gas-operated semi-automatic rifles. After all, it works in MMA." :roll:

MMA are more like the street then your supersoaker... I mean "flamesthrowers" and "assultrifles"

PS The stories of Charlemagne and those of King Arthur were not related in any way, except that they had similar topics.

What? You just basicly said "Those 2 storie are nothing alike, except for the fact that they are alike." They are the same story with different names.

Not that it's terribly on-topic... But the simplest thing to do is find your oldest relevent references.

That said, there was only one church (Catholic) until 1054 when the Orthidox church split from it; and the Catholic church had only one elader (the pope).

In 1517, Martin Luther nailed the "95 thesis" to the door of the church in Witburg and started the reformation. In 1536, when Henry VII split the Anglican church from it's Roman Catholic parent, he became the first possible "ruler who was in charge of teh church" that I can see.

Charlemagne, king of the Franks, and the first holy-Roman emperor appointed by the Catholic Church was born April 2, 742 and crowned Dec 25, 800.

What this has to do with MMA, I will never know.

Perhaps we all need to agree that we disagree on the rockets and religion/history aspect of the conversation. It's going nowhere.

It's happy hour somewhere in the world.

I just read the article. I have to say he has a point. I haven't bothered to read 90% of the posts as I know of the streets he names in the beginning of his article. They are not some place to be after dusk, and some like Prospect, you don't want to go down at all, no matter what time of day it is. They are streets in Kansas City, MO. They are the bad part of town and if this guy grew up on them, he probably could take Royce Gracie.

Ken Chenault

TFT - It does a body good!

But you just proved the origins of all these words, and wit hthe expection of the .com/.edu, there is no one alive during the consption of these thigns for you to talk to. You don't know anyone who called a digarette a "fogget" back then, you have never see or drank a Cola with Cocaine in it, and you never meet someone who was, but you can't prove these things. The only way is to look thing it up and assume the historian who did the research, the man who has spent his whole life studying this, know more about this word them a 16-year-old brawler.

Actually, the term "faggot" is often still used to refer to cigarettes by some people, and others continue to use it to refer to sticks. Coke is still used to refer to cocaine, and to Cola. On top of that, I'm not 16. If I were, my parents would need to be slapped for letting their son develop experimental weapons at such a young age.

MMA are more like the street then your supersoaker... I mean "flamesthrowers" and "assultrifles"

A supersoaker would make a poor flamethrower. Typically compressed gas is used to propel the fuel charge at great speed and to considerable range, though some people prefer a motor-driven piston system to pump the fuel because it is more compact. As for assault rifles.. well, I've never seen a supersoaker fill something full of holes. You're awfully presumptuous considering you've never met me. Were you unaware that assault rifles and flamethrowers actually exist?

What? You just basicly said "Those 2 storie are nothing alike, except for the fact that they are alike." They are the same story with different names.

"Mars Attacks" and "Independance Day" had similar topics, but were very dissimilar films. Similarly, though the tales of Charlemagne's "paladins" and Arthur's "round table" had a similar premise, the stories themselves were not related.

so, before you and your friends started this, what training did any of you have?

I trained in Shotokan Karate and for a while in Boxing. The guy I spar with most often has trained in JiuJitsu, Boxing, and Shotokan Karate. The other guys I've never asked about their prior MA experiences.

Paladin - A holy beat down in the name of God!

Perhaps we all need to agree that we disagree on the rockets and religion/history aspect of the conversation. It's going nowhere.

Perhaps we all need to agree that we disagree that warpspider is either a complete psycho or a stupid kid trying to be tough and ignore him. It's going nowhere.

Andrew Green

http://innovativema.ca - All the top martial arts news!

Perhaps we all need to agree that we disagree that warpspider is either a complete psycho or a stupid kid trying to be tough and ignore him. It's going nowhere.

Actually, neither is the case. I'm no psychopath, just because my morality and beliefs may not match up with the oh-so-wonderful "western world," that doesn't make them any less valid. Believe it or not, "western" beliefs are the minority on a global scale, not that the majority or minority necessarily dictates what's "right." In fact, over half the people on Earth are required by their local laws to learn how to operate assault weapons. Perhaps you've never heard of places where many people train with assault weapons:

A) Most of Africa

B) Most of Asia

C) Most of South America

A little bit of searching turned up a military base in "Winnipeg." I understand that they have assault weapons there, I guess that must mean that the people there are all crazy, since they train tactical movement and assault weapon use. Maybe you should call up Iraq and tell the American soldiers that they're obviously just a bunch of kids trying to act tough toting their assault rifles and driving their little tanks.

Maybe I missed somewhere, I don't recall reading anything saying "civilians only" in the posting guidelines, so I guess that's just a giant EXCUSE ME for being in a militia. Maybe you should just crucify me for thinking that armed conflict is a fact of life for some people, and that MMA is not an accurate depiction of it. Way to assume everyone lives in "Winnipeg," AndrewGreen. :roll:

Paladin - A holy beat down in the name of God!