• advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt

Opening a new school, would love suggestions, etc.

I am opening up my own school, after many years of contemplating it - an oppurtunity literally threw itself at me!

I have been in martial arts for many years, just received my 2nd dan in Karate (actually a hybrid form of ITF TKD) and have had alot of instruction in other forms of martial arts (aikido, etc.). I also have experience teaching... though in a more traditional classroom environment.

My question is this... any suggestions on making the transition from computer instructor to martial arts instructor?

Also... any pitfalls of opening my own school (howbeit in a local gym) that I should be aware of?

Thanks for any suggestions!

• advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt

Set down your goals for ranks. If you are part of an association this won't be hard however since you are a mixed MA you may want to tweek it some.

Give this a lot of thought before you just start people in and realize you have to change it mid stream.

(General George S. Patton Jr.) "It's the unconquerable soul of man, and not the nature of the weapon he uses, that ensures victory."

I agree with the first response...be sure you have a good curriculum in place. You don't want to look like you are unorganized. As far as the business stuff:

- Make a realistic budget, and stick to it. Make sure you budget for some advertising, and things like your sign, equipments, insurance, etc. Check into these prices in your area.

- Make sure you have some help, because there will be times when you can't be on the floor, because you have to deal with the business side of the school.

- Be prepared to pay monthly taxes.

I just opened my own school this past March...email me if you have any questions, and I will do my best to help.

Good Luck!

I agree. My instructor just opened another school. He already had the curriculum set from the main school, so that was easy ;) But yea, make sure you have curriculum for each rank and so forth already set.

Equipment helps, too. You won't need much at first (my instructor stole some of ours to lend to the new school LOL). Maybe a couple of targets, a mat, things like that.

My instructor also started out at the YMCA club. I think that would be a good place to start. It's cheap, and you can put your mind on teaching. Once you get enough students, you can move to a building of your own.

Laurie F

You should already have your curriculum laid out if you don't then you're not ready to open. As far as the business side goes You need good insurance and as was mentioned earlier a budget that you can absolutely stick to because things tend to pop up. Also, you may want to look into becoming a Limited Liability Corporation. I did. It gives you a little extra protection in our law-suit happy society. Try not to have to change too much in mid stream. I know from experience that you will lose students this way. If you're teaching kids make sure that it's fun for them as well as you. Good luck.

A block is a strike is a lock is a throw.