• advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt

does your karate gi mess u up in ur training ?

i use a karate gi that sometimes opens up in the v part of it . and the belt comes out sometimes . i sometimes think the gi is so u can concetrate more on ur training and less in fixing ur gi's if ur in a sparring match and ur gi opens i think they made it like that so u can say forget that and keep concetrating on the fight i seen someone spar and there gi opened he was concetrating more on fixing it rather on his opponent and he got kicked in the face with a mae geri to the mouth unfortunately he loose a tooth . :(

any more situations like this write it on the forum or if u think the gi's are there too keep u distracted ????

• advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt
  • Replies 25
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I usually don't have a problem since I do TKD, and we wear the pull-overs. But my belt doesn't like to stay tied sometimes. When sparring, I don't care. I let it fall off. I'm NOT going to be kicked in the teeth LOL. Or when we do grappling, my shirt comes out from under my belt (reason for sports bras or tanks LOL). But I keep going anyways. I don't stop in the middle of a match to fix my uniform. At the end, I'll turn and fix it, but not in the middle of a fight.

My suggestion would be, fix your uniform later. If you are in the middle of a match, just keep going. You can "fix-up" afterwards.

Edited by karatekid1975

Laurie F

my belt and gi are always coming undone while i train hard or am sparring, but i am not ignorant enough to think that my opponent will wait on me so i continue to spar, i concentrate on the fight and nothing else, unless the individual isn't that good. In a real life street fight many things are going to happen that you don't plan on, so it is best to train yourself to ignore these distractions and to concentrate on the the threat not minor inconveniences

That which does not destroy me will only make me stronger

In Jujitsu, it happens all the time, and it gets annoying.

In karate, my teachers wasn't Very Formal when not at a Tournaiment for Rank exam, so we would end up taking off our jackets and just wearing tee-sirts in drills.

If it really bothers you, tie those strings on your Gi together, sometimes that helps. Also, As GMChen said, just learn to ignore it.

Edited by Tibby

My gi never sits the way its supposed to and I usually have to fix it, because otherwise it rides up in front of my face and I can't see properly.

I'm beginning to think my gi is possessed by satan or something.

As for my belt, I've got a nervous habit of pulling at it all the time in between sparring matches, in between warm up exercises, when the instructor is talking us through something etc. so it doesn't usually come loose 'cause I'm always tightening it up anyway.

Smile. It makes people wonder what you've been up to.

As for my belt, I've got a nervous habit of pulling at it all the time in between sparring matches, in between warm up exercises, when the instructor is talking us through something etc. so it doesn't usually come loose 'cause I'm always tightening it up anyway.

For real, I do the same thing.

Mine comes open all the time but I never seem to notice until I feel a bit of a chill.

I would never try to fix it during a sparring match though, im quite atached to my teeth.

I used to have that problem, and it does get annoying. I always ignore that when I'm sparring. If my belt is falling off I just toss it to the side and keep on fighting. Get a heavier weight gi middle-weight or heavy-weight. You won't have that problem as much. I just got a Century Middle-weight gi and it doesn't open up even when sparring. Now my only problem is when my belt comes off, but that only happens when I'm doing really spirited kumite :D .

Sempai Emily

2nd Kyu-Brown Belt

---The true essence of the Martial Way can only be realized through experience. Knowing this, learn never to fear its demands.

--- Mas. Oyama ---

HAHA AT CHEEKYMUSICIAN

I THINK MY GI IS POSSESED ALSO IT KEEP LEVATATING and it scares me

but does anybody kno any good gi's where it doesnt happen like the one our intructors wear ..????

i've notice the brand . its called Macho Martial arts ..

i'll check that out and keep u updated .. any other brand u kno that are good ???

Part of MA training IMO is to not let the little things bother you. A little thing is your gi messed up.After a few hard kata or sparring my top always comes out of my belt. No big deal. We alway wear a t shirt under our gi's so guy or girl its not going to be a problem. Bottom line is when your attacked on the street you can't be worried about someone messing up your new shirt or jacket. So don't let the gi both you.

(General George S. Patton Jr.) "It's the unconquerable soul of man, and not the nature of the weapon he uses, that ensures victory."