• advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt

Just starting in MA.

mouko_yamamoto

Side track but how many of you guys pay per month?

I pay per class attended (£5, which is about $8 )

EDIT: Actually I dont pay anything on two classes because I sempai at them but students pay £5 :) and thats what I pay at senior training.

• advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt

In Karate, 40 a month for 3 class max a week, but you only had to go to 2.

Jujitsu, 60 a month, with 2 classes a week, and as many informal classes we can weasel out of the Assitant Sensei.

if you work hard you with get your black but do not mess about because it will take longer, i have been going karate for 1year and 9months and we have 10 belts at karate and i am 7th belt 3 away from black, but we call it 6th grade because white is not a grade i hope you like karate and i hope you get that black

L8er :karate: :up:

Trodai Karate, Brown Belt 1nd Kyu

"Belts Are For Holding Your Pants Up" Bruce Lee

"With Great Power Comes Great Responsibility"Ben Paker

I just signed up at a karate dojo near where I live. I pay $60 a month, for 2-3 classes a week, each 1 1/2 hours long. Is that a good/bad deal?

Also, I've seen this in other MA forums, but how long does it take to get a black belt in karate?

Sounds like a pretty good deal money -wise. Regarding the Black Belt issue, I wouldn't personally want any part of a club where one could obtain a black belt with less than 3 years solid effort. Normally, there is a minimum time and/or classes between gradings anyway, so even if you never missed a week due to illness or vacation, etc.. it should still take well over 3 years.

Of course, I'm assuming that you aren't in it just for the belt and actually want the training, mental/physical discipline, serious fighting skills and all? If you just want a black colored belt, there are plenty of schools where you can buy one for a years worth of training or so.

People go a different paces. A lot of McDojo’s will say “3 year” so they will not sound like a McDojo. The truth is, some people are naturals, others have to work hard. Most judo schools say “3 years” And when you take into account that Throwing is harder to do then Kicking, it would seem only nature to assume that if someone can learn 70 plus throws in 3 years, someone can learn to Kick in less that time.

Yeah, I pay per class as well. I pay £4 for an hour and half session which I think is very good value for money. :)

I would be happy to pay monthly as I do go regularly, but I don't think my Sensei is very comfotable with the whole money thing. The other day one of the kids went home early from class (about half way through) because he felt ill. Sensei gave the class fee back to his mum!

motoko

2nd Kyu Brown Belt, Wado Ryu Karate-do

"Daniel-san best karate still inside!" Mr Myagi

UK karate training tends to be pay-per-lesson in the main as there are very few purpose run karate schools and most instructors I have come into contact with teach others as a side income/hobby and not as their sole income.

I have given discounts to students who arrive late (the clocks going forward and back are always a good laugh!) and only aim to make enough money to cover the cost of the hall hire (£2 per student for 90min lesson) and any money left over goes to buying equipment (and my licence which is £40 a year for insurance!) etc.

I would personally prefer paying per lesson rather than per month, unless the dojo was open for drop in sessions whenever I am free (assuming no class on) as well as a minimum of 3 classes per week.

Andy.

Andy Wilkinson (Sandan)

Renketsu Karate Club Senior Instructor

(http://www.renketsu.org.uk)

Yeah, I pay per class as well. I pay £4 for an hour and half session which I think is very good value for money. :)

I would be happy to pay monthly as I do go regularly, but I don't think my Sensei is very comfotable with the whole money thing. The other day one of the kids went home early from class (about half way through) because he felt ill. Sensei gave the class fee back to his mum!

motoko

Your instructor sounds like a top guy! :karate:

Smile. It makes people wonder what you've been up to.

my instructors told us up front that it will take at least 5 years for us to reach black belt. i am more than half way through my training and it doesnt feel like i know half of what i should. in my opinion dont be in a big hurry to reach black belt . take the time to work out your bukai for your katas. now is the perfect time to really understand what our forms are all about.

thats just my opinion