• advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt

does confidence kill???

"Don't know what his rank is, but would'nt it be a better idea to have your Sensei spar w/ him"

good idea, however, i don't think it would help much, as it's been established that the guy respects people of higher rank. unless you had your sensei wear a white belt, and i'd hope he'd notice the difference :lol:

"I hear you can kill 200 men and play a mean six string at the same time..."-Six String Samurai

• advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt
  • Replies 23
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

:lol: Oh, I missed that post. Well then I don't see the problem. There's no harm in being confident in your skills. I would'nt suggest having a big guy who is lower rank spar him. Usually they don't have control, so that would just be a painful lesson :o .

Sempai Emily

2nd Kyu-Brown Belt

---The true essence of the Martial Way can only be realized through experience. Knowing this, learn never to fear its demands.

--- Mas. Oyama ---

Osu!

No arguments there. :)

Sempai Emily

2nd Kyu-Brown Belt

---The true essence of the Martial Way can only be realized through experience. Knowing this, learn never to fear its demands.

--- Mas. Oyama ---

so it's agreed, then, that the only way to cure over confidence is to knock him around a bit? surely there's a better way than that... ...right?

"I hear you can kill 200 men and play a mean six string at the same time..."-Six String Samurai

so it's agreed, then, that the only way to cure over confidence is to knock him around a bit? surely there's a better way than that... ...right?

You don't have to get him hurt. But nothing humbles you like going up against good fighters at your own level who don't play by the same rules. Too often we can fall into a comfortable rut, sparing the same people who fight just like you do and who you can almost predict before you start. And nothing builds true confidence like comeing back and figureing out how to handle that same fighter later. But it is confidence built on humility and respect, not false bravado built on abstract theory and routine. And, as we say in Kenpo, "Without contact, there is no reality!" (SGM Ed Parker).

Freedom isn't free!

Do you attend the same club as your friend, tenguartist?

If you do, you could try voicing your concerns with your instructor. Perhaps

he/she could have a word with him. If he respects the instructor, he

might listen to him/her. It's worth a try. I imagine instructors will see this

kind of thing frequently, and may know the best way to approach the

problem.

I urge you to keep persuading your friend to see sense. Don't wait until

he finds out for real how dangerous untrained people can be. He may end

up dead.

Regards,

Bart the Lover

pay a guy 5 bucks to beat him up to show him he's no good

The amateur shoots his hands out ferociously, but lacks any true power. A master is not so flamboyant, but his touch is as heavy as a mountain.