• advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt

does confidence kill???

hi to all.

how you folks doin? i just want to tell you about my friend named sandler who has taken martial arts for some time now. ive noticed a considerable growth in his confidence, so much in fact that it kind of scares me. he is way to confident in his skills. i have trained longer than him, and yes my confidence has grown. but i still have preserved my common sense in street smarts and i treat everyone as if they are potentially a better fighter than me. sandler doesnt. the only people he seems to fear are those who are higher in martial arts ranking. nobody seems to be a threat. this is why im worried.

how do you people feel about this?

thanxxx

.:let honor guide your hand:.

"you won't be alive long enough to remember my name"

• advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt
  • Replies 23
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

once he gets smacked real well by someone that he doesn't consider superior to him, he will then realise that he should open his eyes a little bit wider, there is nothing wrong with being humbled. It only helps us grow and become stronger. I would say try to help your friend before he finds someone that will hurt him badly.

That which does not destroy me will only make me stronger

Confidence doesn't kill. In fact, it helps make you better. It is one of the many bennefits to studying martial arts.

Over confidence, on the other hand, will usually land you in deep doo-doo. It is one of the pitfalls of studying martial arts. Either, as gmchen said, he'll get knocked around by some lowlife and develope the humility that he also needs to get good; or he'll decide martial arts are ineffective and give it up. About all you can do is warn him about the latter and encourage him to stay with his training when it happens.

Freedom isn't free!

Initial confidence is very common. Generally speaking, there's nothing really wrong with a little confidence. It helps fuel us forward, helps us to learn more...at times our confidence can be well-placed and accurate. Overconfidence can be dangerous, however.

Like everyone else has said, it will just take some good ol' fashioned humbling to straighten him out. The sooner, the better, though. The last place his humbling should occur is on the street, facing an armed attacker.

1st dan & Asst. Instructor TKD 2000-2003

No matter the tune...if you can rock it, rock it hard.

so every agrees he should be humbled. now how can i show him this before someone on the steet does?

Take him to a boxing gymn, or work out with some grapplers or MMA types, maybe a good FMA school in your area. Go any where they do heavy contact and the rules of engagement are different than he's used to. After they rattle his brains a bit, you can straighten out his thinking!

Freedom isn't free!

Don't know what his rank is, but would'nt it be a better idea to have your Sensei spar w/ him. That way he can learn a lesson w/o getting beat up. I've sparred my Sensei before and his footwork is so good that he just gets out of the way from all my attacks and then throws in a few combos of his own. It's very humbling to realize your not as fast as you think and it's a good way to see what you really need to work on. I personally think that's the best way. Plus your Sensei can certainly understand that situation. Your friend is definately overconfident. It's alright to want to spar people better than you. Fearing them is only going to prevent you from learning from your seniors, but not recognizing that they're better is certainly not good. Hope that helps. :karate:

Sempai Emily

2nd Kyu-Brown Belt

---The true essence of the Martial Way can only be realized through experience. Knowing this, learn never to fear its demands.

--- Mas. Oyama ---

confidence doesnt kill .. it helps you in training sometimes . if you are going to be scared of everybody or mostly everybody you will be scared the rest of ur life .. like in sparring . or being in front of people .. confidence makes u BETTER