• advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt

Drills to help with dodging and feints.

Strife

Does anyone know of any drills besides sparing to help you with your dodging speed? Much appreciated.

Its only funny until someone gets hurt. Then its hilarious.

• advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt
i have a place set up back home in a forested region in some hills. Here i have several logs weighing about 50 lbs and the middles have rope tied around them, i have fellow trainers with me that swing these logs at me, i use them to make my blocks stronger but you can use the idea to dodge too, either way, getting hit hurts and teaches you to block or dodge, plus getting hit will make you tougher if you stick with it, you will be able to take hits alot better than usual

That which does not destroy me will only make me stronger

If you don't like getting hit with logs try some of these:

* Have someone with boxing gloves or focus mits/pads take random swings at your head (roundhouse type swings). Tell them not to get into a pattern so you don't know when the hit is coming. When you bob and weave be sure your eyes remain on your opponenent. Try to use small movements...you don't want to do big moves that waste lots of energy.

* Have a partner take a blocker (or some other pad), and make straight movements at your head (like a jab). Do "slip" drills with this by moving your head left or right. Again, make sure you partner varies his attack.

Shadow boxing in front of a mirror, as mentioned in an earlier post, is a great excercise too.

Good Luck!

Thanx, for the imput i really appreciate it. Ive did the log thing except we used sand bags instead and it worked pretty good. Wow, your from Valdosta Tiger? Didnt think many ppl even knew of this general areas existence.

Yea, thats cool. Where do you train at in Valdosta? There really isnt anywhere in Tifton unless you wanna train at the TKD usa where a 3yr old can recieve their black belt in like 3months......

i attach a small boiy(sp) (one of those things that floats in the ocean or whatever) to a beam in my garage. i swing it and has it comes at me i dodge out of the way and if it slows down i hit it, this improves striking accuracy also. this thing is round and hard so if you dont move out of the way it hurts your head. hehehe

Here is something I read in a book that sounds silly but is a lot harder than you'd think. Take a plastic grocery bag and try to keep it in the air with kicks and strikes. Difficult! You really have to be on your toes.