• advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt

Real wood vs rebreakable boards

Moisture content has so much to do with it. Kick or punch a dry board and it snaps like a twig. Take a green board and do the same technique and see the difference. I had to break all green(wet) boards for our break-a-thon earlier this year and it felt like I was kicking a brick. No kidding. It actually hurt to do a jump reverse kick to this board.

Ken Chenault

TFT - It does a body good!

• 4 weeks later...
  • advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt
  • Replies 26
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I remember one of my instructors telling me about this martial arts demonstration he attended. They had 6 year olds breaking multiple boards at a time with all sorts of techniques. Apparently, their school had baked the boards overnight and scored them with a knife. I wish I was there. I bet it was pretty amusing.

My school uses rebreakable boards for testing (except for black belt tests). To me, they are a little harder to break than a real board. But I don't mind :D

I like breaking real wood. But like someone said earlier, the rebreakable ones are cheaper in the long run, and they save on trash and storage space.

Laurie F

to the people who say they can do without board breaking...

Do you use a heavy bag? Cause most people in TKD use board breaking like you use a heavy bag...for training purposes...it helps with strike placement and technique...and the more boards you use...the more powerful your techniques have to be...

sk0t

"I shall not be judged by what style I know, but how I apply that style againsts yours..."

Hmm, I never really used board breaking for training purposes. I'd do either pad work or hit around on the heavy bag. Board breaking is usually a demo type thing. I mean, breaking definitely has its uses. It teaches you how to kick through a target. It also helps with aim and concentration. Overall though, I'd say hitting a bag or some pads is probably a beter way to spend your training time.

Like I said before, breaking a board with the grain is something any kid could do. A lot of TKD schools train people to pull back their kicks and use restraint, so pulling out a rebreakable board once in a while wouldn't be bad to make sure they are kicking through when they need to.

BJJ - Blue Belt

TaeKwonDo - Brown Belt

Krav Maga

Kickboxing

• 2 weeks later...