• advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt

hi... i'm new.

-kunoichi

i know this probably isnt the place to post a "hi, i'm new" post, but i have a few questions so that outweighs the "i'm new" part of this.

well lets start with a little intro... i'm 18 years old and i started taking tae kwon do at age 7. my dream back then was to one day be in the olympics for it. i had to have surgery on my ear right before i was about to earn my yellow belt and i needed 6 months to recover... and the school relocated without tellin me where... and i never took it back up again.

aside from that, i havent really properly execercised in a while either... and i've gained quite a bit of weight. i'm going to college for my first year this year and they have a karate club/organization so i plan to join as soon as i get to school so i can get back in shape and get back involved with martial arts.

OKAY... here are my questions:

what types of exercise routines should engage in to help me get in better fitness faster?

what type of diet is best?

should i buy a gi now or should i wait til i shed some weight (i'd hate to spend money every 3 months on a new gi)?

please supply any other tips or anything as you please... i plan to have martial arts as a part of my life til the day i die. :karate:

i'm a girl.

• advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt
Hello! IMO, I think just a basic warm-up to start out with is fine. Push-ups, sit ups, crunches, stuff like that. Don't forget to stretch though, before you start! Set a number of how many of each you can do (like 20) and then once you're able to do that, set a higher number (like 40). You could also jog. If there's a track open for public use, use it. If not, just jog around your neighborhood. Go for about 15 minutes. Then kick it up if you feel comfortable enough. As for buying a Gi. I'd hold off on that. Like you said, you dont wanna be buying a new gi every few months. Hope that helps! =)

Female- 16 years old - Brown Belt 3rd grade.

"If there's a track open for public use, use it. If not, just jog around your neighborhood"

running is an excellent way to lose weight and get in shape. but i'd just skip the track, if i were you. going up and down hill will work more muscles than running on level ground, and quite frankly, it's a lot more scenic and you might even meet some interesting people :)

"I hear you can kill 200 men and play a mean six string at the same time..."-Six String Samurai

Diet is the important thing. Excercises alone is not going to take the weight off if you are eating large combo meals at McDonalds 3 times per day. Try a higher protein, lower carb diet. Eat 6 small meals every 3 hours. MAKE SURE YOU EAT BREAKFAST! Contact me and I will be happy to help out where I can.

As far as the uniform...some schools require you wear a uniform...talk to the Instructor.

Best of Luck!

sometimes around the house i practice what i learned in tkd and i can still kick pretty high... yay... lol. i'm working on coming up with a plan of what to eat and when and when i get to school this saturday i'mma find good spots to jog at. i like the hill idea..

i'm a girl.

you don't need a special plan of what to eat or such. There is no magic diet.

There is, however, things you should take in moderation.

For example, sodas, chocolates,alcohol, or lots of fatty foods aren't a good idea. Also, Dairies aren't exactaly the healthiest thing either.

You really can't do some magic calculations for what you're going to eat, when you're going to eat them, and how much.

moderation.