16 members have voted

1. 1. Makiwara Vs. heavybag Vs. Wooden man

• Makiwara
    • Heavybag
    • Woodenman

• advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt
id prefer the makiwara and heavy bag over the woodenman, i havnt trained with a woodenman, but i dont think id accually want to.

"When I fight, I fight with my heart,and soul. My heart, and soul is Shotokan Karate."

Shotokan_fighters creed

"karate has to come natural in a fight, if you have to think about using karate in a fight, you will loose the fight"

3rd kyu brown belt - shotokan karate

I tihnk a Heavybag. Never tried a wooden dummy, and a good, solid canvas bag can be a great Makiwara, with a good cardio workout at the same time. With a Makiwara, your hitting a flat post, with a Canvas bag, your hitting more of a rounded surface, more like a human body. So, if it is a Canvas heavy bag, then yes, I'd pick that over the other 2.

• 2 weeks later...
Im a fan of the heavy bag you can do more with them.

(General George S. Patton Jr.) "It's the unconquerable soul of man, and not the nature of the weapon he uses, that ensures victory."

I say heavy bag just because I think it's a great thing to have when you're having a really bad day.

"An enlightened man would offer a weary traveler a bed for the night, and invite him to share a civilized conversation over a bowl of... Cocoa Puffs."