• advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt

How to achieve maximum damage?

I heard some argument that when you punch someone's body, the intent to punch through his/her body is not a correct idea, since some of the force will be turning into 'push' force which causes no damage. Momentum = Force / Time, so the shorter time your fist contacts the body, the greater momentum and damage you will cause. The argument suggests punching to only 1 inch or 2 inside the body.

The argument doesn't really make sense to me however. If your punching speed is fast enough, at the point when you punch through the body, the body is still not moving, and of course no 'push' will happen. But it is only my theory.

What's your opinion on this? What's the best way to achieve maximum damage? :-?

• advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt
  • Replies 25
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

i believe that you should punch threw the object but one should also snap the punch back as soon as you make contact. this transfers all the kinetic energy to the point of inpact.

Be like the water - Bruce Lee

yes, i agree with martial law, but you only need to penetrate the body 2 inches to cause damage.

"When I fight, I fight with my heart,and soul. My heart, and soul is Shotokan Karate."

Shotokan_fighters creed

"karate has to come natural in a fight, if you have to think about using karate in a fight, you will loose the fight"

3rd kyu brown belt - shotokan karate

Momentum = Force / Time, so the shorter time your fist contacts the body, the greater momentum and damage you will cause.

That formula is not correct. Momentum = Mass x Velocity. You do want to hit the target when fully extended, so punching "through" the target is not recommended. I believe that that recommendation refers instead to the mindset... if you are aiming to strike only the surface your arms will likely decelerate as they approach the "target" to avoid overshooting it. By aiming "past" the target, you can overcome that subconcious message to slow down, even though you may not be able to actually reach the target.

On the other hand, the argument that pushing causes no damage isn't really accurate, it upsets the other persons balance, making your next technique easier to land. If the other persons balance is upset enough as a result of repeated blows, they may fall over, and can then be stomped on/jumped on/kicked on the ground, whatever you like.

Paladin - A holy beat down in the name of God!

• 2 weeks later...

I heard some argument that when you punch someone's body, the intent to punch through his/her body is not a correct idea, since some of the force will be turning into 'push' force which causes no damage.

Kinda-like how cars and bullets (both of which attemt to go right through you) cause no damage huh?

Momentum = Force / Time

No, Momentium=mass * velocity

Force = accelleration / time (or accelleration*time, depending on what number for "accelleration" you are trying to compute from)

the shorter time your fist contacts the body, the greater momentum and damage you will cause.

So a bullet that stays in your body does less damage because its maintained contact?

What you are actually thinking of (should actually be thinking of) is the amount of time it takes to transfer energy from your hand to the target.. That's what leans more towards pushing... OTOH, chest compressions are done with a puch, and doing those to a person with a functioning heart will cause arythmia and death... so why is pushing neccessairily bad?

The argument suggests punching to only 1 inch or 2 inside the body.

I tend to disagree... particularly since compressing only 1-2 inches of body may fail to penetrate enough to do anything useful (depending on who is hit and where).

i believe that you should punch threw the object but one should also snap the punch back as soon as you make contact. this transfers all the kinetic energy to the point of inpact.

But then peng is gone. Without follow-through, you won't have much effect (you are "pulling your punch")

yes, i agree with martial law, but you only need to penetrate the body 2 inches to cause damage.

Really? And this is based on what?

Karate is a highly complex art that takes many years to master. It is impossible to sum up this ancient, transcendental discipline in a short article, but we can get a handle on some of the underlying principles. Though its execution is highly complex, the root of karate is fairly straight-forward: By applying physical, mental and spiritual force intelligently and precisely, you can realize the maximum potential of your strength.

The force of impact between two objects is largely determined by the objects' momentum. To see how this works, imagine a car speeding toward a wall. If the car crashes into the wall head-on, the direction of momentum is directly perpendicular to the wall. The front of the car and the area of wall it crashes into experiences the maximum force of impact, and both suffer maximum damage. But if the car collides with the wall from the side (as you might hit protective walls flanking a highway), the direction of momentum is at an angle to the wall. The momentum keeps the car moving forward, so the wall only feels a small fraction of the total force

Make sure to attack the body at angles, too. It is designed in most places to withstand direct hits, but is much weaker when attacked at an angle.

Martial Arts Blog:http://bujutsublogger.blogspot.com/