• advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt

Power not Coming from the Hips.

CheekyMusician

I think he is about right on. Everything starts with the legs and works its way up. When we throw a punch we push off the back leg and drive it up the leg to the hip and torso before it gets to the arm.

Now to say the hips are not important is wrong. The hips make an avg. punch a great punch. I have been arround football and coaching all my life. My little brothers plays D1 football at WVU. I have never heard a strength coach who did not want his players to do Squats, and Cleans.

All power comes the hips. However the power gets to the hips from the legs. If our legs are not in a good postion its hard to generate the force needed to throw the hip as needed.

All the body works as one but the hips is what connectes the legs to the torso and thus is where all the power is focused. Thats why the power comes from the hip....

(General George S. Patton Jr.) "It's the unconquerable soul of man, and not the nature of the weapon he uses, that ensures victory."

• advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt
  • Replies 37
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

..........but to maximise the power from the hip the power should be generated from the ground.

I keep asking God what I'm for and he tells me........."gee I'm not sure!"

The power does come from the hips, but its gets THERE from the legs. I use my legs to "wind up" my hips thenthey uncoil which is where the power comes from for me. So in a way the author was right, hes was just over exagurating his point a little.

A powerful punch starts at the legs. If you can add force from the legs, hips and arm, shoulder all at once then you will have the most power.

Power is rooted in the legs and comes from the hips AND it is transferred through the body into the technique. Holding the breath or moving with too much tension can stop the flow of energy and actually weaken the technique. Similar to the transfer of energy when slapping out of a fall.

8)

"A Black Belt is only the beginning."

Heidi-A student of the arts

Tae Kwon Do,Shotokan,Ju Jitsu,Modern Arnis

http://the100info.tumblr.com/

yeah you have to relax so your punch is fluid,fast and powerfull.

"When I fight, I fight with my heart,and soul. My heart, and soul is Shotokan Karate."

Shotokan_fighters creed

"karate has to come natural in a fight, if you have to think about using karate in a fight, you will loose the fight"

3rd kyu brown belt - shotokan karate

Power in punching unites at the arm from six points of the body. Foot, knee, hip, shoulder and fist. This forms a more forceful punch through basic mechanical principles (ie the vector addition of force and momentum.) Forwards momentum from puching forwards off the floor with your back foot is combined with angular momentum from the twist of your hips and shoulder, and more forwards momentum from thrust forwards your arm. Power does not come from the hips but from the whole body. Karate emphasises the use of the hips because it is one of the most powerful and efficient way of adding mometum and works defensively (if you move backward to counter as your enemy attacks, and then suddenly try to hop fowards to punch, your forwards and backwards momentum will cancel and your blow will be weaker, so you use your hip instead.)

However we should look outside of are art for new methods to integrate. The shoulder spin of boxing, the swinging punches in choy lee fut, cyclic punches of Wing chun which bring power up from the feet without pushing on it, and the circle steps of bagua are really powerful. Not to mention absorbing and returning the enemies force.

Hove fun! :D

Mind, body and fist. Its all a man truly needs.